Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak to Green Bay Proposal

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1613533  by Jeff Smith

https://www.wbay.com/2023/01/05/green-b ... utType=amp
Appleton Mayor Jake Woodford’s office says city leaders from Green Bay, Kaukauna, Appleton, Menasha, Neenah, Oshkosh and Fond du Lac submitted a “joint letter of interest” to show their interest in add Amtrak train service in their cities through the federal Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, also known as the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law.

““Everybody benefits. This is a once in a lifetime… once in a generation… opportunity,” Municipal and Legislative Liaison with Northeast Wisconsin Rails (NEWRails) Larry Rueff said.

That law created an initiative for Amtrak to identify and develop new corridors, and Amtrak has proposed three daily round-trips from Chicago to Green Bay with its Hiawatha line, which currently connects Chicago and Milwaukee.

#1629329  by Jeff Smith

eolesen wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:27 am ...
The Air Line is severed between West Bend and Fond Du Lac, about 22 miles of missing track that's been converted to a state trail. Not insurmountable to see that reinstated, but it wouldn't come cheap.
The state may eventually want it back:

Washington County Insider

Will the railroad return through West Bend, as State DOT targets rail line in 2030

West Bend, Wi – The Eisenbahn State Trail was established in April 2006. Formerly an active rail line, home to the Fox Valley Railroad, there was always the possibility the State DOT could take the stretch over again and install a viable rail line.
“There is no current or it at this point and even anticipated applications to reestablish rail service through the trail corridor,” said Stern. “Probably half of the community will be happy, and the other half was anticipating a train.”
 #1629435  by eolesen

Wisconsin has put a lot of money into freight rail. This might actually happen.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

#1629436  by scoostraw

eolesen wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:52 am Wisconsin has put a lot of money into freight rail. This might actually happen.
I live in Wisconsin. I would love to see it happen.

But.. "I'll believe it when I can buy a ticket" definitely applies.
 #1629441  by eolesen

Don't disagree, but given how some of the lines that have reappeared over the last few years as part of the state freight rail plan, I can see the logic between having an alternate line *for freight* between the Fox Valley and Milwaukee.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

#1629500  by west point

It would be interesting to find out what the highway trucks are doing to the roads. Reduce maintenance on roads with removed trucks to trains? Michigan's intrastate truck weights a prime example.
 #1634514  by Jeff Smith

Corridor ID: Green Bay Press Gazette
Wisconsin gets $2.5 million to study Amtrak expansion from Milwaukee to Green Bay, Madison

State and local officials received five $500,000 federal grants to study expanding Amtrak passenger rail service from Milwaukee to Chicago, Green Bay, Madison, Eau Claire and the Twin Cities.
Three of the routes selected would be new train service out of Milwaukee — to Green Bay, Madison and Eau Claire. The other two awards will explore expanding Amtrak's existing Hiawatha schedule between Milwaukee and Chicago and its Empire Builder schedule line between Chicago and the Twin Cities via La Crosse.
Milwaukee to Green Bay: Extend the current Chicago-to-Milwaukee Hiawatha service north to include stops in Fond du Lac, Oshkosh, Appleton and Green Bay.