• Amtrak Sunset East Reactivation Proposal (Including City of New Orleans Extension)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by gokeefe

They are overplaying their hand. This is a former/existing route that was affected by a regional tragedy.
  by gokeefe

National coverage of Sen. Wicker's Amtrak position is now recycling locally. It's interesting to watch how new train service creates an upward spiral of support for Amtrak.
Sen. @RogerWicker, Republicans embrace Amtrak rebirth on Gulf Coast
  by Suburban Station

Greg Moore wrote:Cynically, "well, if you need it now, you need PTC, and well you have to pay for it." i.e. it's CSX's way of getting someone else to pay for the mandate.
would PTC be required if Amtrak does not run on the line?
  by gokeefe

Almost certainly "yes".
  by Backshophoss

For CSX to run "Haz-Mat" cars on this route,a PTC System needs to be installed,Amtrak will need to install what ever system
CSX uses on their engines.(aka,CSX's version of I-ETMS PTC)
  by Woody

gokeefe wrote:Almost certainly "yes".
From a foggy memory of a comment posted here some time back:
Most likely CTS would not be required; CSX has restructured its operations to consolidate all its Maz-Mat business on a different route.
  by Jeff Smith

Updates: Progressive Railroading
Moorman: Amtrak committed to reviving Gulf Coast service

Amtrak President and Chief Executive Officer Wick Moorman has pledged support for restoring service from New Orleans to Orlando, Fla., along the Gulf Coast.

Service along the corridor has been suspended since Hurricane Katrina hit the region in 2005.

In a March 3 letter to Southern Rail Commission (SRC) Chairman Greg White, Moorman emphasized Amtrak's "firm commitment to the Gulf Coast project," along with the railroad's interest and support for other projects underway in the region.
  by gokeefe

That's a very good sign. This project is something of a bell weather for a lot that's going on in and around Amtrak right now. I'm watching it closely to see what happens
  by Rockingham Racer

So, who's paying for this service, anyway?
  by gokeefe

Amtrak and the states in the Southern Rail Commission.

If it is treated as an "extension" of the City of New Orleans it could be treated as a "national" train and remain exempt from state funding requirements.
  by Rockingham Racer

Got it. Thank you.
  by electricron

I"m not sure if it'll be better as a stand alone train. But there's one thing for sure, there were not that many people wanting a one seat ride from Texas or California to Florida, hopefully there will be more demand for a one seat ride from Chicago and the Midwest to Florida.
FYI: it's 546 highway miles from New Orleans to Jacksonville, and 147 rail miles from Jacksonville to Orlando. Total being 693 or so miles, so it's very likely a stand alone train will need state(s) subsidies, and with 4 states involved it'll be difficult to determine how that will be apportioned.
  by OrangeGrove

That's one of the (many) problems with state funding requirements as the law is currently written; You can almost never get several or more states to agree, there will be one holdout to stymie the proposal. Nevertheless, so long as the leading plan is indeed an extension of the City of New Orleans as presumed, there will be no state funding (operating subsidies) involved anyway; It will be a federally funded Chicago to Orlando long-distance train.
  by EdSchweppe

electricron wrote:I"m not sure if it'll be better as a stand alone train. But there's one thing for sure, there were not that many people wanting a one seat ride from Texas or California to Florida, hopefully there will be more demand for a one seat ride from Chicago and the Midwest to Florida.
FYI: it's 546 highway miles from New Orleans to Jacksonville, and 147 rail miles from Jacksonville to Orlando. Total being 693 or so miles, so it's very likely a stand alone train will need state(s) subsidies, and with 4 states involved it'll be difficult to determine how that will be apportioned.
The Sunset Limited route was 769 rail miles ORL->NOL, as can be seen on page 96 of the April 2005 national timetable.
  by electricron

Thanks for the correction, I was using highway miles between New Orleans and Jacksonville. At 769 miles, a stand alone train wouldn't require any state subsidies. ;)