• Amtrak pulled by NJT loco's

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by drewh

Friday night taking the 524 NJT from Metuchen to NYP, I saw 3 Amtrak trains pulled by an NJT loco. What's up with that??

At least 1 was the Regional - still sitting at NYP at 6pm. There was a cafe car on it and I checked the track when I got upstairs - it was definitely the regional train, though I don't remember which one.

by queenlnr8

I believe (and I could be wrong) that Amtrak has an equipment sharing lease policy thing with the local commuter operators (NJT and MARC) to share locomotives and in some cases, commuter cars.

But, I think that it only works one way. Don't expect an Amtrak locomotive or Amfleets on your commute.

by timz

I thought the Clockers and some Keystones have been regularly assigned ALP46s-- for the last six months at least.

by XRails

Yes, I heard they were using NJT units in preparation for handing the Clocker over to NJT. I think that was in Railpace not too long ago.

by DutchRailnut

Correct with NJT taking over clockers and having bought the locomotives for it, it would be nonsence to have Amtrak who is short electric locomotives provide the power.
So Amtrak gets to use 6 Alp-46's for clockers and as second advantage they get to evaluate the ALP-46.

by mb

4606 was drilling in 30th Street Station on Monday 4/05/04.

by mannynews

It's true----NJ Transit locos pull the Clocker trains between Philadelphia and NYP.....I take train 622 in to NYP most mornings, and it is led by NJT Power

by queenlnr8

Those ALP46s sure are nice looking. I wish they had them in Phase Vb livery with the 'Three Sheets' logo on them.

Does Amtrak have any plans on procuring any of these 'toasters'?

by DutchRailnut

as soon as they find the pot of gold at end of rainbow or if Congress and house both totaly get re-elected with new members.
in short posibly when hell freezes over.