Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak not accepting Amtrak Guest Rewards Mastercard

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1622607  by MRCVan

When I try to charge a US$2660 trip to my Amtrak Mastercard issued by FNBO the bank accepts the transaction but then Amtrak reverses the charge and says on screen that the transaction was declined--which is a lie because I have called the bank which tells me the transaction was approved, and my bank statement indeed shows the transaction was approved by the bank and then reversed by the merchant.

I called Amtrak and the customer service rep got the same result--transaction declined--but in fact FNBO approved the sale. I asked to escalate but the Amtrak rep said the only "escalation" available is to call the bank. The bank rep even kept me on the line while I tried again to make the purchase. She saw real-time that the charge was approved by FNBO then reversed by Amtrak.

I spent hours going back and forth between Amtrak and FNBO, trying this multiple times on the Amtrak website and on the phone--and will not do this anymore. It is apparent that Amtrak is fraudulently offering extra rewards points for using their rewards credit card, but then disallowing the transaction in order to force me to use another payment method where I won't earn the points.

This is consumer fraud. I will not cave in to this manipulation and use another credit card, thereby foregoing the advertised bonus points. I will drive for days to my destination rather than patronize this horrible company.
Attachments:
(116.93 KiB) Downloaded 582 times
 #1622643  by STrRedWolf

You have a few paths here:

1. Contact your local state attorney's office. No, not a lawyer, the state prosecutor for the state you are in. See if they have a consumer protection division. File a complaint there.

2. Contact your local Congress critter. While they may not personally be investigating, a call from the office staff may be enough to get Amtrak management to go "OH **** WE'RE BEING INVESTIGATED FOR SOMETHING NEW!"

3. Contact your favorite local news crew and see if it blows up into a national scandal.
 #1622647  by RandallW

This has prompted me to log into my Amtrak Guest Rewards account and see that I can't add any credit card to the account (with a "null" error message). My old Bank of America Amtrak card is still listed there.

I don't think this is hostility on Amtrak's part, but is more likely a classic cock up. "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." I'll report back once I call Amtrak about my inability to put a card on that side.
 #1622649  by Gilbert B Norman

First, Mr. MRC, I wished you could have joined our forum under happier circumstances.

There has been a long history of Amtrak trying to find a "home" for its affinity card. Every major issuer they have approached has eventually heaved them. It appears there is simply not the volume of purchases to keep any such issuer (BofA, Chase, Citi, Cap One) interested.

But this time it does not appear their now second tier issuer, FNB Omaha, is the villain, but rather Amtrak itself. Possibly this is Amtrak simply telling its passengers "we want out of the credit card rewards business".

Beyond that thought, I too am "stumped".

disclaimer: author never has had an "AGR card" by any issuer (or for that matter, anybody's affinity card). Author has had an AGR account with Amtrak in the past but has redeemed earned points for a Darden Restaurants gift card (wow, their Capital Grille steak is a mite bit better than anything Amtrak serves). Since author has not ridden Amtrak in now over three years, presume the account has been CXD by Amtrak with some remaining residual miles "cast to the wind".
 #1622650  by RandallW

I eventually got an error code attempting to add a credit card (both an Amtrak Guest Rewards one and a non-Amtrak affiliated one) that would mean something to their IT people and reported it to Amtrak. I'll report any feedback I get. I think there has been some IT cock up at Amtrak that means Amtrak's system does not recognize a successful credit card transaction right now.