• Amtrak/MARC Service - BWI- Union Station

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by GP40MC 1116

I was looking at exploring some new travel options next time I have to travel for work to Washington D.C. Usually, when I am scheduled to go to D.C., I travel 45 minutes South to Boston's Logan Airport and then take a U.S. Airways Shuttle to Washington National Airport (DCA). Since I have had to travel for work, I haven't tried the closer (and much more convenient) Manchester-Boston Regional Airport. I had researched a bit and found out that Southwest Airlines, flies from MHT to BWI on a fairly good schedule.

I was just curious if anyone has traveled to BWI and then taken Amtrak or MARC to Union Station. Which is the better option as far as price and convenience?
  by SimplySam

MHT is certainly an easier airport to use than Boston-Logan. At BWI there is a free shuttle bus from the terminal to the Amtrak/Marc station. As long as you arrive during the hours the trains are running all should go very smoothly.
  by Greg Moore

GP40MC 1116 wrote:I was looking at exploring some new travel options next time I have to travel for work to Washington D.C. Usually, when I am scheduled to go to D.C., I travel 45 minutes South to Boston's Logan Airport and then take a U.S. Airways Shuttle to Washington National Airport (DCA). Since I have had to travel for work, I haven't tried the closer (and much more convenient) Manchester-Boston Regional Airport. I had researched a bit and found out that Southwest Airlines, flies from MHT to BWI on a fairly good schedule.

I was just curious if anyone has traveled to BWI and then taken Amtrak or MARC to Union Station. Which is the better option as far as price and convenience?
I have taken this quite often (though usually in the other direction, i.e. WAS -> BWI). MARC is $6 ($9 if bought) on the train (these are historical fares) and I've paid in the past anywhere from $17 to $23 historically for Amtrak.

Keep in mind MARC does NOT run on weekends.
Generally I take MARC since it's cheaper when going to WAS from BWI. If I'm going in the other direction, it's usually on either a weekend or in the evening when there are few or no MARC train; in those cases I take Amtrak.

Generally if you're flexible you don't need to wait more than 30-45 minutes for a train.

Overall, it works very well.
  by The Metropolitan

It may be heresy to mention here, but depending on where you're headed in the DC area, there's also an Express Bus B30 that goes directly to Greenbelt Metro where you can connect with the Green Line and several other buses. Fare is a flat $6, but it boards all the way over at the International Pier (E), which is entirely around the Horseshoe from the Southwest Gates on Pier A/B.
  by gprimr1

Try them both :)

In addition to the point about MARC not running on weekends, weekday rush hour trains can be very, very, very full.
  by NellieBly

I've done the B30 bus, and it's:

1) Not all that long a walk from Southwest's gates
2) Runs nonstop to the Greenbelt Metro station, a trip that takes no more than a half hour
3) Runs every 40 minutes, weekends included (IIRC)
4) Costs $6, which is half the MARC fare and one quarter of Amtrak's fare
5) Depending on where you're going, it can be time-competitive with MARC

If you have to fly into or out of BWI, the B30 is probably the best choice for getting to DC. For Baltimore, I'd opt for the light rail.
  by djlong

Every *40* minutes???? Meaning, on AVERAGE you're twiddling your thumbs for 20 minutes? Wow - I got spoiled at Logan and didn't know it (with their every-20-minutes Silver Line to South Station)
  by HBLR

SimplySam wrote:MHT is certainly an easier airport to use than Boston-Logan. At BWI there is a free shuttle bus from the terminal to the Amtrak/Marc station. As long as you arrive during the hours the trains are running all should go very smoothly.
The airport bus is very comfy and gets you to the airport swiftly.
  by GP40MC 1116

I will be flying in and out of BWI early next week for a buisness related travel. What would be the easiest option to get into Washington DC if I am arriving at BWI at 8:00AM? On the return end, I have a flight at 5:35, so I would need to be at the airport by 3:30 or so
  by strench707

On your way South into the city there's a 9:23 and 9:58 train that would get you into Union at 10:06 and 10:37 respectively. Amtrak isn't really worth such a short haul. Going back if you want to play it extra safe and get there early there is a DC departure at 1:20 getting you to BWI at 1:56. Later a 2:15 getting you there at 2:54. All trains are unreserved you just have to buy a ticket. You could even by your return ticket before getting on your train into DC if you want to do it all in one transaction. If you are pressed for time and don't have time to buy a ticket at all you can jump on and pay the extra fee for an onboard purchase ($3 extra IIRC). These are all MARC Penn Line trains just if you needed to know.

If you have any further questions please post!

Davis
  by GP40MC 1116

strench707 wrote:On your way South into the city there's a 9:23 and 9:58 train that would get you into Union at 10:06 and 10:37 respectively. Amtrak isn't really worth such a short haul. Going back if you want to play it extra safe and get there early there is a DC departure at 1:20 getting you to BWI at 1:56. Later a 2:15 getting you there at 2:54. All trains are unreserved you just have to buy a ticket. You could even by your return ticket before getting on your train into DC if you want to do it all in one transaction. If you are pressed for time and don't have time to buy a ticket at all you can jump on and pay the extra fee for an onboard purchase ($3 extra IIRC). These are all MARC Penn Line trains just if you needed to know.

If you have any further questions please post!

Davis
I figure why not take MARC, as I've never really taken that service before. For the short ride it is, I don't think I will save much on Amtrak, just I will be paying more $$ to ride the train.
  by strench707

I would say the good thing about MARC as well is that if there is a change in plans on your end there's no need to change the ticket out for a different time whereas Amtrak you would need to go to the ticket desk.

Davis
  by gokeefe

I used this service extensively when I was travelling from Catholic University to BWI for travel and return (METRO Red Line Brookland CUA-Union Station, MARC Union Station-BWI) (it just so happens I was travelling from BWI-MHT on SWA!). I did this enough to earn rewards tickets on SWA in the old days of 'double Rapid Rewards credits for online booking'.

At the times I was travelling I would catch the first MARC northbound for the morning and the first (or second) Red Line train south to Union Station.

Coming home I would usually take Amtrak just because it was faster. I tried the bus to BWI (as I remember it went to New Carrolton at the time and was called the B60??). I seem to remember going past Minnesota Ave. on the Orange Line a couple of times to/from BWI.

ANYWAYS....Amtrak to Union Station is non-stop if you're going downtown this is by far the fastest option. You'll like cut your travel time by half and potentially more if you take the bus and then the METRO from Greenbelt. MARC is good too especially if you catch an EXPRESS on the PENN Line (same tracks) that is also more or less non-stop to Union Station.

It was nice it was fast and the difference wasn't that bad. Admittedly I was also looking for an Amtrak fix as well.
  by Greg Moore

Marc tickets are typically $6, Amtrak are typically 3-4x that. (and yes $3 more if you buy on board, cash only.)

Note most Amtrak trains do stop at New Carrolton. But they are definitely faster.

Also, depending on what airline you're flying out of, 3:30 is definitely an extra large margin. If you're flying Southwest, I'd say arriving at 4:30 will give you enough time. (often going to Gate B in the SWA is faster as most busses stop near Gate A and that security gate is far more crowded).

Like I say, I generally just show up, look a the terminal, and buy whatever is quickest/cheapest depending on my needs.
  by Jersey_Mike

If your company is reimbursing your travel you should just take Amtrak. It's still cheaper than the cost of a taxi ride in to the city and nets you 100 AGR points. It's a good way to help support passenger rail and much more dignified than some bus. BTW if cost is an issue just take MARC as the B30 bus + Metro connection costs more than just the MARC train.