• Amtrak/LIRR Moynihan Train Hall

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by george matthews

David Benton wrote:
george matthews wrote:
Don31 wrote:
Thomas wrote:NEC, which is the most heavily used railroad in the world
I doubt that. Consider the lines out of London Waterloo, or Victoria or Euston, to name but three. The West Coast mainline in England is heavily used. There are some very busy lines in Netherlands and in Germany. And Japan has some very busy lines.
Few, if any, major stations worldwide, would have only 2 tracks leading into one end of them though.
Most of the mainline terminals in London have four tracks leading to them. Only Fenchurch Street, a commuter terminal, has two tracks.
  by Ken W2KB

george matthews wrote:
David Benton wrote:
george matthews wrote:
Don31 wrote:
I doubt that. Consider the lines out of London Waterloo, or Victoria or Euston, to name but three. The West Coast mainline in England is heavily used. There are some very busy lines in Netherlands and in Germany. And Japan has some very busy lines.
Few, if any, major stations worldwide, would have only 2 tracks leading into one end of them though.
Most of the mainline terminals in London have four tracks leading to them. Only Fenchurch Street, a commuter terminal, has two tracks.
Are the London terminals truly that, with all tracks stub ended and/or all trains enter and exit on only those 4 tracks, or is it like NY Penn with 7 tracks on which trains enter and depart depending on direction? I plan to attend the 5-day 2014 World Science Fiction Convention in London next summer, so will have a chance to do some train spotting as well.
  by lirr42

I have a track map of every rail line, underground track, et al, in London someplace on my computer. I can send it along at request, but let's get back on topic to our little hole in the ground now!
  by Don31

lirr42 wrote:I have a track map of every rail line, underground track, et al, in London someplace on my computer. I can send it along at request, but let's get back on topic to our little hole in the ground now!
I'd love to see that map when you get a moment.
  by Jishnu

Ken W2KB wrote:
george matthews wrote:
David Benton wrote:
george matthews wrote:
Don31 wrote:
Are the London terminals truly that, with all tracks stub ended and/or all trains enter and exit on only those 4 tracks, or is it like NY Penn with 7 tracks on which trains enter and depart depending on direction? I plan to attend the 5-day 2014 World Science Fiction Convention in London next summer, so will have a chance to do some train spotting as well.
AFAIR the following have entrance only from one end, i.e. are terminii in London:

Victoria
Waterloo Main
Kings Cross
St. Pancras
Euston
Liverpool Street
Fenchurch Street
Merylebone
Paddington

London bridge has a couple of through tracks

When Crossrail is built, Paddington and Liverpool Street will get through tracks.

Similarly in Paris the following are terminii

Gare Montparnasse
Gare St. Lazare

The following have through RER tracks, but are otherwise terminii:

Gare du Nord (RER B)
Gare de l'Est (RER E)
Gare de Lyon (RER A)
Gare Austerlitz (RER C)
  by lirr42

Don31 wrote:
lirr42 wrote:I have a track map of every rail line, underground track, et al, in London someplace on my computer. I can send it along at request, but let's get back on topic to our little hole in the ground now!
PM me your e-mail
  by george matthews

lirr42 wrote:
Don31 wrote:
PM me your e-mail
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=london ... =firefox-a
  by Don31

george matthews wrote:
lirr42 wrote:
Don31 wrote:
PM me your e-mail
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=london ... =firefox-a
Thanks George!
  by george matthews

Mcoov wrote:
Jishnu wrote: Waterloo Main
Waterloo dumps into Charing Cross as well.
There is the main Waterloo station with about 20 tracks. That is entirely a terminal. Alongside is the former Eurostar station, also a terminal but not now used by Eurostar. Attached to the building but not connected to the tracks is the through station leading to the north of London lines. All the tracks are third rail electric.
  by Thomas

Could Amtrak bore new trans-hudson tunnels into Penn Station and build an underground cavern station--at the same depth of the current tracks--without razing all of the buildings on Block 780?
  by 25Hz

Thomas wrote:Could Amtrak bore new trans-hudson tunnels into Penn Station and build an underground cavern station--at the same depth of the current tracks--without razing all of the buildings on Block 780?
That's the plan.
  by Thomas

I understand that that is the plan. But, the real question is, is this plan realistic? I suppose that some of the obstacles would be the depth of basements in the Block 780 vicinity...
  by bleet

Article from the NY Times today about 'visions' for a future Penn Station.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/29/arts/ ... f=nyregion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clearly no thought given to anything related to train travel, but I think the conversation about the future of the station is good. Limiting the Garden's lease to 15 years... the Gateway tunnel project... and things like this make me feel that something will eventually get done. Of course I'll be riding trains in heaven by then but whatever.