• Amtrak Florida Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by warren1949

Noel Weaver wrote:
We are talking about Florida here but Atlanta - Jacksonville would be a an ideal corridor type route with multiple trains on a
daily basis. I don't know if this will ever happen. Maybe if Florida were to take a lead on corridors within the state,
Georgia would at some point decide to join in especially if it were successful within Florida and I have little doubt in my
mind of the potential just in Florida alone. Corridors out of Atlanta would not be the responsibility of Florida.
Noel Weaver

This kind of got off the topic because I responded to a comment about other states in the region by using the term "neighboring" states. I should have stayed with the "regional" terminology. Regardless, any state, Florida included, does not exist in a vacuum. While I think there is clearly a intrastate need for rail in Florida, anything that involves Amtrak is likely to be connected to other states in the region.
  by buddah

transitrider wrote:
Ocala Mike wrote:transitrider, that's an interesting map. Maybe I wouldn't have to drive to Gainesville so often with all those lines you have between Ocala and there!
By the way, you have Tallahassee in the wrong county; last I checked, it was in Leon County, a little further west than where you have it.
Thanks and these was my proposed new Amtrak Florida and it will be great if it was up/running today. I wasn't sure about Tallahassee btu I just assumed and just put it there. No biggie deal.
Once again, thanks!

.Transitrider nice to have you on the forum good looking draft. Hey Ocala mike nice to see you again.. being from the area I wonder if you remember the original Central Florida Commuter Rail project (CFCR) project back in the 80s. My grandfather who is still in Ocala had a article about it in the banner. I remember hearing about it but at that time i was just in my preteen years so I cant remember much I do remember it was shot down by all the old people who voted against it because they wanted there cars and didn't want any noise in there retirement communities, didnt want construction, refused to have any change in the area, they were just so for there current way of life. and felt they needed nothing else ( aka: the villages , leesburg, mount dora, etc.,). Im sure Mike you know what I'm talking about. Would have been great today if built, when back then it was thought to be a suitable Idea. Also the Ideal time to take whatever eminent domain then instead of waiting for the communities to grow as they were expected to do and did. It mainly would have run close to 441 from Ocala to Orlando as that route is a very populated stretch. provide a connection to Gainesville for all the U of F students ( myself included in the late 90s) and keep 75 and the turnpike free of traffic during the game weekends as Im sure you have seen. This would have been like Amtrak California where each section of the state would have there own branch IE: Surfliner ,San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor and cascades. Florida would have initially been set up this way and Central Florida was to be the starting point ( phase 1), next would have been southern Florida ( phase 2) and finally a direct line across the top Tallahassee to Jacksonville (phase 3). From my understanding the initial cost was around 1 billion at the time and the old fogies felt that was ridiculous to spend that kind of money on trains. Now there looking at that just for a line that only serves the Orlando area. Im pretty sure by now the routes would have turned a good profit if they were built.

Yellow was to be built first
Red was to be second
Green was to follow third
Here's a link to what it would have looked like, (phase 1) made the map myself from what I remember
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3632/335 ... 7221_o.gif

.......All would have been finished in the mid to late 90s and then the southern portion would have been the next project and would have been built between the 90s and completed just around now. I could only Imagine what it would cost now to reinvent this idea.

PS. all cities marked with numbers would have been terminal cities and linked/served at final completion of Amtrak Florida.
  by Ocala Mike

Nice map and nice idea, buddah. I've only been down here since 1995, but I can tell you the areas you mentioned wreak of "nimbyism," and ideas to improve just about anything come here to die.

Same thing with live horse racing in the area; many false starts but nothing past the "bright idea" stage.
  by NIMBYkiller

Here's my map for Amtrak Florida
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 599609&z=6

Lines are:
Jacksonville-Pensacola
Jacksonville-Panama City
Jacksonville-St Petersburg via Gainesville
Jacksonville-Tampa via Gainesville
Jacksonville-Tampa via Orlando
Miami-Jacksonville via FEC
Miami-Tallahassee via Gainesville
Miami-Tampa
Tampa-Venice
Tampa-Naples
Orlando International Airport-Daytona Beach
  by warren1949

NIMBYkiller wrote:Here's my map for Amtrak Florida
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 599609&z=6

Lines are:
Jacksonville-Pensacola
Jacksonville-Panama City
Jacksonville-St Petersburg via Gainesville
Jacksonville-Tampa via Gainesville
Jacksonville-Tampa via Orlando
Miami-Jacksonville via FEC
Miami-Tallahassee via Gainesville
Miami-Tampa
Tampa-Venice
Tampa-Naples
Orlando International Airport-Daytona Beach

I like your optimism.
  by transitrider

I have make some changes to this Amtrak Florida so now I have more detailed information now can be found online at:

http://www.transitrider.info/vision/amtrakflorida/

I'll have the new schedule and train numbers available when I can.

Thanks!
  by Noel Weaver

transitrider wrote:I have make some changes to this Amtrak Florida so now I have more detailed information now can be found online at:

Thanks!
Welcome to total fantasy for 2009. Nobody on here will ever live to see much if any of this happen.
There is not a whole lot in the brain department running the State of Florida and the highway and anti rail lobbies are
much too strong for much to happen with passenger trains here. Wish I was wrong but I don't think I am.
Noel Weaver
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Brzezowski, you forgot something - laying down the tracks again to Key West.

I think that was part of NARP's "vision".
  by transitrider

Noel Weaver wrote:
transitrider wrote:I have make some changes to this Amtrak Florida so now I have more detailed information now can be found online at:

Thanks!
Welcome to total fantasy for 2009. Nobody on here will ever live to see much if any of this happen.
There is not a whole lot in the brain department running the State of Florida and the highway and anti rail lobbies are
much too strong for much to happen with passenger trains here. Wish I was wrong but I don't think I am.
Noel Weaver
Florida has history of Anti Rail but we need is what? Petitions so we can get more service.
  by transitrider

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Brzezowski, you forgot something - laying down the tracks again to Key West.

I think that was part of NARP's "vision".
I refuse to put a rail to Key West because of risk. I pefer not and that's why I didn't added to my proposed routes.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Thank you, sir, thank you; for being more pragmatic than UNOHOO.
  by D.Carleton

Noel Weaver wrote:There is not a whole lot in the brain department running the State of Florida and the highway and anti rail lobbies are
much too strong for much to happen with passenger trains here.
This is true. However, they are light years ahead of where we were twenty-five/thirty years ago. FDOT has had many up and downs with rail during that time. They've seen the start and growth of Tri-Rail and were burned by Amtrak over the reinstatement and subsequent cancellation of service on the Panhandle. Now we're looking at the eminent start of Sunrail commuter trains around Orlando. The inertia of the highway men, once impossible to overcome, has started to show its cracks and I expect to see more in time.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Oh well, apparently the Key West "vision" was someone else than NARP; sorry bout that, NARP.

Somebody out there was playing with their "vision" map.
  by transitrider

I do have the feeling when SunRail is up/running and it will give the state idea that we do need statewide rail system and expand it.

TriRail is in works to expand to Jupiter and little more west from Miami something.

Amtrak did get burned bad fro State of Florida but we need to try harder. If these systems I designed was up and running, I can guarantee you we would have millions passengers a month more than what NJ Transit ridership is, maybe 3 times more ....