• Amtrak E8 4316: The First Locomotive of Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Pensyfan19

Does anyone know what happened to this locomotive, otherwise known as the only locomotive in the experimental Phase I livery on A-day? The most recent image of this locomotive (last numbered as 461, ex-AMTK 322, exx-AMTK 4316, exxx-PC 4316, nee PRR 5716) is in August 1978, and I can't find any information of what happened to this E unit after that, other than being replaced by an F40. Does anyone know if this locomotive was scrapped, stored, or sold into preservation?
  by MACTRAXX

PF: With the 50th Anniversary of the birth of Amtrak (May 1, 1971) only 8 weeks away some of us are looking back to the initial "Rainbow Era" of Amtrak's first years as the new company began to identify itself.

E8 #4316 was the first locomotive to wear an Amtrak color scheme - later in 1971.
This color scheme was not yet conceived on A-Day.

What Amtrak needed to determine in the first months of operation were they going to use or lease locomotives from the member railroads or would it be better to own outright their locomotive fleet?

The question was answered when Amtrak (Penn Central) #4316 was unveiled in the Summer/Fall of 1971. Amtrak began purchasing passenger locomotives for their own use from. the member railroads.

In time Amtrak would introduce updated color schemes for the early days locomotive fleet. The experimental scheme used on #4316 would not be repeated.

The first five years of Amtrak (May 1,1971-May 1,1976) was a very interesting era to look back on. The Amtrak locomotive fleet evolution back then was an example of the many changes from those years.

Hard to believe that the early Amtrak era is now 45-50 years ago...MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Gilbert B Norman

I well remember seeing that engine; PC #4316. First reaction within the Chicago railfan community (yes, I admit to being one of such during '71) was the slap dash nature of the job. Just slap an Amtrak "pointless arrow" on the side and something believable around the nose. The PC Black was simply unchanged.

Actually, the PC had on the eve of Amtrak, sent a number of E-8's through Altoona for at least a mechanical rebuild. Not all got re-liveried into PC as did 4316, but they were mechanically sound and PC was placing their bets that Amtrak would look under the hood at the "fattened up steers", select them first for purchase, thence livery them however they chose, which of course was Phase I.
  by MEC407

IMG_5616.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.