• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by MEC407

TRNE wrote:The recent trespasser fatality in Biddeford and the media's shoddy reporting is discussed on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TrainRidersNortheast/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm curious to know if you also paid Bruce Sleeper to send a similar letter to Channel 13, and if not, why not. Channel 13 also used quotation marks around the words "trespasser incident."

Personally I don't see the problem here, and I think it's a cheap shot to imply that every TV station and newspaper in Maine — "the media," as you put it — did a shoddy job of reporting on this incident. I read the articles in the Press Herald and the articles on the Channel 6, Channel 8, and Channel 13 web sites. All of them appear to be accurate. I don't know what Sleeper's hourly rate is, but I assume it's in line with what the other lawyers at Jensen Baird charge, and if I were a member of the TRNE board I would've suggested using that money to make a contribution to Operation Lifesaver instead of sending a letter to a TV station whose online editor — the person responsible for those quotation marks — probably makes just barely a living wage.
  by Ridgefielder

With regard to the Portland station site: look, I'm not a commercial real estate developer or investor.

But I know plenty of people in that business, both personally and professionally.

And I'll say that if I were the owner of the low-end (anchor tenant: Dollar Tree) strip shopping center that replaced the old Union Station, and I realized it was the only practical location for a new station to replace the Portland Transportation Center, I'd be meeting with architects right now to draw up plans for a nice big combined-use TOD incorporating retail, office, hotel and a new bus/train station. You're certainly going to be able to command a higher rent/sq ft if you add the train traffic.
  by MEC407

It's owned by a company in Wellesley, MA. It's possible (and probable) that they don't pay all that much attention to the political goings-on up here. You might have to give 'em a call and make the suggestion. :wink:

Edit: their web says they're "in process of upgrading and repositioning Union Station Plaza, Portland, ME" — which seems to be a reference to what's discussed here: https://www.mainebiz.biz/article/portla ... a-makeover" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Dick H

An unknown type of PAR track equipment broke down in Durham this afternoon
#683 was held at Exeter and #684 was held at Dover. NNEPRA was on the ball
and established a bus bridge between Exeter and Dover. Train delays were about
an hour each. Not bad, considering recent delays from disabled freight trains.
  by markhb

To go back to the "where on the main line" question, Mercy Hospital has received the state's OK for their expansion.
  by east point

any additional tracks sidings built for the Down-easter be exclusive for that operation. Any freight parked on those tracks delaying DE will initiate severe penalty on PAR.
  by Backshophoss

The PROBLEM is to break PAR's DS 's Habit from using them as "PARKING SPOTS" for dead on law Freight trains! :wink:
ALSO Run the freight Train faster than 25 mph on track good for 35-40 mph freight speeds! PLEASE!!!
  by b&m 1566

MEC407 wrote:It's owned by a company in Wellesley, MA. It's possible (and probable) that they don't pay all that much attention to the political goings-on up here. You might have to give 'em a call and make the suggestion. :wink:

Edit: their web says they're "in process of upgrading and repositioning Union Station Plaza, Portland, ME" — which seems to be a reference to what's discussed here: https://www.mainebiz.biz/article/portla ... a-makeover" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sounds like an award winning shopping plaza - Maine Hardware, Sav-A-Lot, Dollar General... WOW I must go! Seriously, someone should be after this parcel of land, to transform it back into a State-of-the-art train station, with retail space and maybe a restaurant or two.
  by jonnhrr

Backshophoss wrote:The PROBLEM is to break PAR's DS 's Habit from using them as "PARKING SPOTS" for dead on law Freight trains! :wink:
ALSO Run the freight Train faster than 25 mph on track good for 35-40 mph freight speeds! PLEASE!!!
What is the DS supposed to do - park it on the main?

It not his fault that PAR management can't run trains and manage its crews competently so that trains could reach their destinations without outlawing.
  by markhb

Given that HOS is a safety issue, would a contract stipulating that PAR couldn't use an otherwise suitable siding for an overtime train even be legally enforceable?

I know that they use Track 2 on the way out of Portland for a parking lot, but that's 2 miles without a grade crossing. Has there been any sign of them parking on the new tracks near Royal? That stretch has something like 5 crossings between the switches, so I would think that to park anything of decent size there they'd have to cut the train a few times and how much time would that use? Plus you'd be sending people at the end of their shift out to play with the couplings, which is probably how the old guys lost digits.
  by ExCon90

It's certainly true that HOS regulations are inflexible. The law permits exceptions in case of emergency, but I've been told that the FRA takes an extremely narrow view of what constitutes an emergency, placing great emphasis on the word "unforeseeable" in the definition of emergency. I don't think they would ever consider something an emergency if it simply involved a crew running out of time because of normal delays en route.
  by Hux

Ten minutes behind out of Dover, 694 with some antsy Bruins fans headed to game two of the Eastern conference finals.
  by arthur d.

b&m 1566 wrote:
Sounds like an award winning shopping plaza - Maine Hardware, Sav-A-Lot, Dollar General... WOW I must go! Seriously, someone should be after this parcel of land, to transform it back into a State-of-the-art train station, with retail space and maybe a restaurant or two.
...and give the bums on every Portland street corner a nicer place to sleep and panhandle in the bargain, just like BON.
  by Dick H

Today was graduation at UNH in Durham. For a number of years, some parents
and others attending the ceremony would park in Dover and take the DE to
and from Durham to avoid the traffic and parking issues.

But several $1.00 increases on all tickets to/from New Hampshire stations over
the years has pushed the round trip fare to $18.00 per adult, which is $72.00 for
a party of four. That has resulted in relatively few doing the DE ride to the
commencement event. Also, I don't recall the exact timing, but the current
schedule does not generally fit the event schedule as well as back 10 years ago.

Speaking of years, December 15th, will mark 18 years of the Downeaster service.
When the last B&M passenger train left Portland in 1965, it seemed doubtful
that Boston to Portland passenger service would ever return. Thanks to all
involved and the voters of Maine that got the Downeaster up and running.