• Amtrak Auto Train Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

zuluwarrior wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:42 pm Northbound Autotrain on Thursday April 14 was 100% sold out, with 4 coach cars, one cross country lounge car, 9 sleeper cars, one lounge car, one dining car and over 500 passengers.
Mr. Zulu, did your Sleeper car count of nine include the 390XX T-Dorm, which on #52 is rearmost, or was such in addition?

Glad to know that AT is doing as well as, if not better, than pre-COVID.

As I've noted previously, it's one thing to use such if your final destination is in the Northeast where, yes as they advertise, saves 800 miles of driving and, for those here for whom college is in the rear-view mirror, a hotel night, great.

But for me, my final journey in all likelihood was 52(the day Kobe Bryant was killed), as with a final destination in Chicagoland, the $1500 tab - me in a Bedroom, auto on the rack - to save a net of 400 miles behind the wheel and no time whatever, simply became "too rich for my blood".

According to the Feb 2022 Monthly Performance Report, Auto Train is the only product line "making bread". No wonder at those rates!!!

disclaimer: author hardly lives "RRTA check to RRTA check" in this life; but STILL!!!
  by zuluwarrior

did your Sleeper car count of nine include the 390XX T-Dorm, which on #52 is rearmost, or was such in addition?

Nine on the platform, so probably yes. Never made it back that far to see.

I can see priority offloading southbound is sold out already for all of October.
  by bostontrainguy

Auto Train Departure Time Change. Effective May 2, 2022 the departure and arrival of the Auto Train between Lorton, VA, and Sanford, FL, will be one hour later.
Gives a little more time to get there before the cut off time.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Smart move, Mr. Train Guy; Amtrak should be pleased that Chessie was willing to cooperate.

Lest we forget, as I've noted here on previous occasions, the AT operates under a separate contract from other Amtrak trains over CSX. Hopefully, it provides for greater remuneration than the anecdotal (contained within a bilateral agreement; no FOIA "prying eyes") "incremental cost" arrangement covering other trains.

This change will certainly alleviate the "pressure" I have felt getting to my twenty five "voyages". Now so far as a passenger's Florida destination, If #53 arrives more or less on time, even Key West could be reached before sundown. Even on the Winter Solstice, sundown there is 543PM.
  by zuluwarrior

Departures and arrivals will slide one hour, but check in is only extended from 2:30 to 3.
  by zuluwarrior

I read the b***ing on trainorders.com about the service and this change and thought I would comment further.

I follow people disappointed about en suite meal service instead of dining car but in most respects we prefer it. During the 5 to 9 window all the between-car doors were open and the attendants were sailing through at great speed delivering meals. A lot of work for them. But our attendant was quite clear (this was clearly something they were aware of), that if you were on the 7pm "seating", you should expect things somewhere during that hour as they delivered to rooms. It seems obvious for 150 people not to expect their meal to arrive exactly at 7. Or 5 or 6 or 8 or 9. But the food was hot and the tableware was sturdy. They've improved the packaging.

Perhaps allowing the consist to be more than 50 cars will allow another diner car and allow the seasonally long trains to return to diner car service.

If the schedule change results in more on-time arrivals that would be good, and some people clearly think 9am in Lorton is too early given Washington rush hour. We've never had that problem. But for us it means closer to NY rush hour, so it is a bit of a wash.
  by lordsigma12345

They'll likely return to dining service when they can require people to sit communally again in the diner. That's going to be the major factor.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Hard to believe, Mr. Train Guy, but someone posting to Trip Advisor actually prefers Coach over a Roomette.

I guess there are masochists in this world.

With myself, I could foresee a situation where my friends living in Caroline County VA would be happy to meet me for a Lunch, say, at Potomac Point Winery and I (and they) had flexibility on my Northward date. Maybe come up a rate lass that the "going" $1500 (last paid for 52-the day Kobe Bryant was killed-$693) and if my friends were available, "I'd bite".

Having Dinner in my room; fine. I'm not all that sociable @ 80yo, anymore - The Times and a "bottle" of my choice beats Dinner companions and Amtrak's "milk bottle choice of Red or White - one glass". Their "excuse" of a "Continental Breakfast"; that's why there is a Mickey D close to the Lorton station.
  by Greg Moore

I'm starting to wonder if the solution to the success of the Autotrain is to change it to twice daily. By cutting the train length in 1/2, you can add more cars to each train, and have a bit more flexibility all around. Of course it would make scheduling at either station a bit tighter.
  by lordsigma12345

A lot of the complaints on there were about the problems they had with that crazy snowstorm that also shut down I-95.
  by west point

Any official Amtrak notices?
Has CSX issued a bulletin allowing Auto Train to be longer than 50 cars?
  by lordsigma12345

There are also HEP limitations on the Genesis locomotives. One thing Amtrak toted about the new Chargers is that the higher HEP capacity could eventually allow a higher number of Superliners on the Auto Train.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Greg Moore wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:40 pm I'm starting to wonder if the solution to the success of the Autotrain is to change it to twice daily.
Mr. Moore, short lived, but the Auto Train Corporation once did operate a frequency of two trains several times a week.

But in this day when "The Gospel According to Saint Elwood" says to "run 'em long and less frequent to give MofW greater windows", not too likely.
  by west point

lordsigma12345 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:32 am There are also HEP limitations on the Genesis locomotives. One thing Amtrak toted about the new Chargers is that the higher HEP capacity could eventually allow a higher number of Superliners on the Auto Train.
This statement needs some clarification. The Genesis P-42s came with some different kW outputs. But as far as I know there are none built that have 1000 kW output. The 6 P-40s assigned to Auto train service were all modified for 1000 kW HEP. Now are they the same P-40s still operating on Auto Train that were modified have no idea. That leaves at any time 4 to operate the 2 daily trains. 2 spare for depot maintenance. Once in a while one of the road switchers are rotated out of Sanford. Probably the P-40 which always seems to lead in that case provides the HEP. Have noted that configuration is on shorter passenger car consists.

EDIT: Thoughts.
1. All ALC-42s are delivered with 1000 kW so they might get rotated onto Auto Train eventually allowing retirements of the P-40s.
2. LD trains are limited to lengths by P-42s various HEP outputs. This might be one reason why Amtrak seems to limit trains to 12 - 13 cars or less for HEP outputs. Note the super Star might be an example? Modifying P-42s might be considered too costly or GE inverters not available in sufficient amounts? Another reason for more ALCs?