• Amtrak Auctions on eBay?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Ron_Stevens

Amtrak Auctions was an Ebay store,that provided train travelers a great opportunity to purchase bargain basement tickets.Unfortunately(as i implied)this was the last day of their store.Whereas the Amtrak site offers bargains on off season travel,as well as on their Rail Sale,nothing could compare with Amtrak Auctions.For an example,a roundtrip from Seattle to Boston,had end of auctions bids ranging from $115 to $190;and that even during peak travel period. This price paradigm was true throughout the auction listings.I actually had placed a losing bid today on the Seattle to Boston roundtrip;if i had known that they were closing their store,i would have bid a few more dollars on those tickets.Perhaps anyone else who partook in these auctions could articulate their thoughts on Amtrak Auctions.

by NJ3rdRAIL

I have looked at these auctions often. The "feedback" that they received on eBay from customers was very good. I am sad to see the store closed. How did you come to find the store closed by the way?

As a buyer and seller myself- it is always interersting to see what type of rail memorabilia is out there. Maybe they will bring it back after the "peak" rail travelling season is over.

by Amtrak288

It's a shame that the E-bay store closed, I got one of the absolute best Amtrak fares I've ever gotten in over 7 years of travel from that site. Since this is a historic fare, I'll quote it here: August 4th, 2003 - Train #48 - Buffalo-Depew to NYP: $19.00

I remember sitting on the platform waiting for #48 to arrive, of course it was late (as usual) and Train #284 arrived before it, I was asked by #48's conductor when it arrived why I didn't just take #284 and I told him because I wanted to ride #48 (That also was of course what my ticket was purchased for). I ended up missing a connection at NYP with an Acela Express but I really didn't care because I wanted to eat in the Dining Car on that trip as it really enhances the overall train travel experience, and #48 is one of my favorite Amtrak trains anyway. I ended up getting a later Acela Express out of New York so my trip ended up working out in the end with no problems.