• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by mtuandrew

DutchRailnut wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:41 pm got feeling that that number is at least 4 times higher.
Quick math:
About 225 miles NYP-WAS
About 225 miles NYP-BOS

Per unit, let’s say each has a single WAS-NYP-WAS turn and a single WAS-BOS-WAS daily. That adds to 2(225) + 2(2(225)) = 6(225) = 1350 miles daily. Over a year, that’s 365(1350) or 492,750 miles/year.

Some units may have more miles per day, some fewer (maybe they only do a pair of NYP-HAR-NYP turns daily, or only an NYP-NHV-NYP + NYP-WAS-NYP turn), and some sit in maintenance all day, so let’s say the yearly average per unit is closer to 300,000 miles/year. It’s pretty likely that Amtrak wants each of these units to do 20 years or 6,000,000 miles/lifetime before heavy rebuild (see: AEM-7 to AEM-7AC.)
  by rcthompson04

Yea I was taking a more conservative estimate of 4 WAS to BOS round trips a week or 10 NYP to Harrisburg round trips a week.
  by 8th Notch

DutchRailnut wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:41 pm got feeling that that number is at least 4 times higher.

Ohh yeah, I have randomly checked the odometer on some of the engines and they are well around the 400-550k range.
  by David Benton

Are the compressors in the Amtrak models a lot different from their European model predecessor's compressors?.
  by ThirdRail7

Are the horns different too? They're starting to act up again.
  by 8th Notch

Add another to the list, 166 with the 662 currently disabled at New Rochelle waiting for a rescue.
  by rcthompson04

ThirdRail7 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:45 pm I loved this one:

http://98.26.68.43/scripts/archivefinde ... &selday=01

So much for the vaunted "don't worry about the wheel slip, it'll power through aka wheel slip as you know has ended....just power out, it is self-adjusting! "

I guess that only works on flat terrain. :wink:
Was there a power problem between Exton and Paoli? We have seen a number of issues with the power system west of Malvern recently.
  by ThirdRail7

Aside from laying down on the job, they are now starting to drop out on multiple trains on the same date.

Two on Saturday and two for for today.

I remember when the IG complained about buying too many. It's a good thing they did order so many.
  by SRich

How is it possible that 4 units drops out on one day?
  by Gilbert B Norman

Really, must I ask; were 601 (Frankford) and 627 (Chester) damaged beyond economic repair?
  by rcthompson04

SRich wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:20 am How is it possible that 4 units drops out on one day?
Well there could be weather problems, but it does not appear that was the case.
  by SRich

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:46 pm Really, must I ask; were 601 (Frankford) and 627 (Chester) damaged beyond economic repair?
Yes, check Amtraks 5 years equipment plan. Then you will read that the 2 eletrics maybe wil be sold
  by gokeefe

ThirdRail7 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:17 pm Aside from laying down on the job, they are now starting to drop out on multiple trains on the same date.
Is there any hope for improvement?