• Amfleet/SPV2000 shells and commuter conversions

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by gprimr1

Could Amfleet shells ever be turned into usable commuter equipment? I'm doing my transit based internship and one of the issues is expanding MARC service. I was wondering if the un-used, never to be used, Amfleet shells sitting in Bear could be turned into 3-2 commuter trains or are they to small?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to convert them than to buy new equipment?

by DutchRailnut

The shells at Bear are not Amfleet but are SPV shells, they are standard 85 foot shells but probably to narrow for 3x2 seating. also those shells would need to be changed considerably as window size is not conforming to todays FRA requirements for emergency egress.
expect them to be cut up instead of being used, the owner waited to long to get anything done with them and now rules have changed.

by gprimr1

That's unfortunate, I will have to look for other sources of equipment.

by gprimr1

Anyone know any commuter agencies with spare equipment to sell or lease?

I heard NJT is about mothball some cars.

by wigwagfan

gprimr1 wrote:Anyone know any commuter agencies with spare equipment to sell or lease?
http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com has had some MetroNorth bi-level equipment for lease, and some Metra gallery coaches for sale.

Also has a pair of SPV-2000s, some RDCs, and of course plenty of coaches and other standard equipment that could be rebuilt into commuter stock.

There's also a tourist operation (Golden Pacific Railroad) in Tacoma, Washington, that had a fleet of gallery cars but they are no longer in operation; their cars may be for sale along with an ex-Amtrak F40.

by Otto Vondrak

Metro-North has never had any bi-level equipment... maybe you meant Metra in Chicago?
  by polybalt

The original poster was trying to identify existing cars that could be used on MARC. Since second-hand METRA gallery cars are already operating on the MARC Brunswick line, I assume he is looking for cars that can be used on the Camden and Penn lines. Both lines require cars that can load and unload passengers at high-level platforms. Gallery cars, Amtrak Superliners, or any commuter car built recently for an agency west of Pennsylvania cannot load from high-level platforms.

Penn line service is even more restrictive. MARC trains regularly run at speeds of 110 mph. Most commuter equipment is not certified for operation at these high speeds, and likely doesn't have the braking thermal capacity for these speeds.

So the original idea of Amtrak east-coast shells was a good one!

How fast can a Metro North M2 go? Aren't they up for replacement? They would run fine on the Penn Line, if they can handle the speed! By the way, we'll take one or more of the bar cars too!

Pete Schmidt

by Irish Chieftain

gprimr1 wrote:Anyone know any commuter agencies with spare equipment to sell or lease?

I heard NJT is about to mothball some cars.
Yes; the Comet I (high-level rebuilds) and Comet IB cars (former Arrow Is; pity that they aren't still MUs, because they'd be well-suited to the Penn Line/NEC). They won't leave service until the multi-levels are in full service on all lines, I believe (they were supposed to have all been retired when the Comet Vs were all delivered, for the record).

Also, FTR, 3-2 seating (which first appeared on trains like the Budd Silverliner) is on its way out in favor of a return to 2-2 seating.

by gprimr1

Yes, our concern right now is the Penn Line since it is the most popular.

We would also welcome equipment that can be used on the Camden and Brunswick lines though. Some Camden trains are at capacity and that can be used on new service routes which would be mostly low platforms. (Union Station in DC does have low platforms and I believe Baltimore has 1 or 2 tracks with low platforms.

Who is SPV?

by DutchRailnut

SPV is BUDD Self Propelled Vehicle, the shells are no longer usable due to new regulations.

by gprimr1

Thank you

Anyone want to take a stab at some prices?

by The Metropolitan

Why not the dead-storage fully build Amfleets in Wilmington? Would be high and low platform compatible, already built to take the NEC's speed, and fully compatible with the Sumitomos?

After all, this is a temporary measure anyway until a new order can be specced?

by DutchRailnut

Amtrak has no Amfleets for sale, stored or not.

by The Metropolitan

True enough, but would there be some value for both parties involved if the dead storage cars were LEASED to MARC? Amtrak would gain money from cars that are otherwise just sitting in a yard, and could still reacquire them if needed. MARC would get needed equipment while it works out the Capital processes for new cars.

The cars would get their needed COTS servicing, and would do well serving people instead of the flies that hang around Wilmington's yards.

by DutchRailnut

There is no servicable cars stored, all need major work to tune of about $100 000 per car.
The reason they are stored is Amtrak does not have that money to get the cars in service.
And unless someting big happens in Washington they won't have money for years to come.