Railroad Forums 

• Alphabet Soup

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1624858  by Gilbert B Norman

Now that the Canadian Pacific, after having completed its acquisition of the Kansas City Southern and has stylized itself as CPKC, let us not give Union Pacific any ideas about joining the "alphabet soup" crowd.

Even though Uncle Pete has absorbed thirteen roads that come to mind (CGW, CNW, SP, OSL, NWP, LASL, TNO, MKT, MP, TP, RI, GMO, WP) let us be thankful there is one Class I that chooses to retain the name under which it was founded some 161 years ago. Off hand, I cannot think of any business entity topping that.

disclaimer: author Long UNP
 #1624900  by NY&LB

Keeping with a railroad connection how about Ames? Founded in 1774, according to their website, they made the shovels used for the B&O groundbreaking as well as for the building of the transcontinental RR. "Our tools built America"
 #1624929  by Gilbert B Norman

Concede, Mr. Long Branch:

https://global.ames.com/

Also, I realize that my submission of railroad companies absorbed by Uncle Pete, or otherwise the Union Pacific Corporation, can be picked apart, but I shall let it stand (Mr. Golden Arm may have other thoughts), so that others can "do the picking".

For example, the more I have thought about it, I don't think there was ever a financial transaction between the UP and the GM&O to acquire any portion of its property. Rather the series of transactions coming to mind were one between the Illinois Central RR to acquire the GM&O in its entirety renaming the entity Illinois Central Gulf (ICG). Subsequently, there was a transaction between the ICG and a Short Line named the Chicago, Missouri, and Western, for the lines roundly comprising the Alton Route (C&A; which was merged with the GM&N "after The War" forming the GM&O). The CM&W was acquired by the Southern Pacific, which itself was acquired by the UP during 1996.

Volks, "it's complicated".
 #1624952  by umtrr-author

I think the betting window for the date at which "CPKC" will revert back to "Canadian Pacific" can be safely opened at this point. I will put four quatloos* on January 1, 2024.

Reminds me of a crack that was being batted about the Interwebs during the UP/CP merger talks: "It's a combination of equals, as evidenced by the name, which will have the 'Canadian' from Canadian Pacific and the 'Pacific' from Union Pacific."

*Obscure reference to an episode of Star Trek.
 #1625005  by ExCon90

Much the same was said when UP acquired SP, taking "Union" from UP and "Pacific" from SP. Karma?