• ALP-45DP's - Usage and Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by michaelk

DutchRailnut wrote:AMT electro-diesel arrives in Montréal
16 June 2011

CANADA: Montréal commuter rail authority Agence Métropolitaine de Transport took delivery of its first Bombardier-built ALP-45 electro-diesel locomotives on June 9. ...

Built at Kassel in Germany, the locomotive was shipped from Hamburg to Newark, New Jersey, and moved to Montréal under its own power;...
http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/news/s ... treal.html
"under its own power"- that really accurate?

Trying to understand the rules related to Pueblo giving the OK.

the gist i got from the thread was until the people in Pueblo ok the model, such units aren't allowed to be turned "on" in the US- and that's why NJT always has a second locomotive attached to the one they have in order to move it around?

But was I mistaken in my understanding and they are allowed to be "ON" but just not actually in control? So the second loco is actually sort of baby sitting?

(or where they just saying it's all good in Canada and so as soon as it crossed the border they fired it up- no matter what Pueblo has to say about it?)
  by Jtgshu

Yea thats gotta be a misunderstanding there - it was towed up there on its own WHEELS, but not under its own power.....
  by OportRailfan

cruiser939 wrote:
waldwickrailfan wrote:
OportRailfan wrote:Does anyone know if a 45 was shoved through Newark Penn on Track A today around 1:30pm?

Thought I saw something that looked like it but I couldn't see it from the east end of the track 3/4 island.

The other things I thought it could be were a lite engine move or MM92 following 3844.
i think it was an ALP-46A
Again Waldwick, please refrain from providing incorrect answers to issues you have no knowledge of.

Oport: an ALP-45 was indeed moved to Newark Penn Station yesterday. Bombardier was putting on a little show and tell for other transit agencies on Track A. I'll post some pics of it coming across Dock in the next couple of days.
I figured you would have the scoop on that. Thanks for confirming what I thought I saw.
  by DutchRailnut

michaelk wrote:
16 June 2011

CANADA: Montréal commuter rail authority Agence Métropolitaine de Transport took delivery of its first Bombardier-built ALP-45 electro-diesel locomotives on June 9. ...

Built at Kassel in Germany, the locomotive was shipped from Hamburg to Newark, New Jersey, and moved to Montréal under its own power;...
The FRA and AAR have diddly squat power in Canada, untill we make it the next state.
So yes maybe it did move under its own power at some point in Canada.
  by blockline4180

Jtgshu wrote:Yea thats gotta be a misunderstanding there - it was towed up there on its own WHEELS, but not under its own power.....

LOL, But they will be reallllllllllly loud in diesel mode correct??? Because if it was "under its own power" the hills of Berkshire Mass. would have heard its roar!!! :-)
  by Jtgshu

blockline4180 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:Yea thats gotta be a misunderstanding there - it was towed up there on its own WHEELS, but not under its own power.....

LOL, But they will be reallllllllllly loud in diesel mode correct??? Because if it was "under its own power" the hills of Berkshire Mass. would have heard its roar!!! :-)
Yea I think they will be REALLLLLLLY loud in diesel mode, so youll probably hear them coming for a while........
  by Tommy Meehan

someone in [i]Railway Gazette[/i] wrote:...Built at Kassel in Germany, the locomotive was shipped from Hamburg to Newark, New Jersey, and moved to Montréal under its own power...
Meaning, it was MU'd with the road engines? A long-distance light engine move? :)
  by ATCFault

Jtgshu wrote: Yea I think they will be REALLLLLLLY loud in diesel mode, so youll probably hear them coming for a while........
Well they have 2 CATs, the same cats that are in the MP20s. So since one MP20 drilling a few cars around makes enough noise to be heard in CT, the folks in Portland, Maine will know when a ALP45 is working the grade out of Port Jervis.
  by Jtgshu

ATCFault wrote:
Jtgshu wrote: Yea I think they will be REALLLLLLLY loud in diesel mode, so youll probably hear them coming for a while........
Well they have 2 CATs, the same cats that are in the MP20s. So since one MP20 drilling a few cars around makes enough noise to be heard in CT, the folks in Portland, Maine will know when a ALP45 is working the grade out of Port Jervis.
I hope the cabs are quiet - otherwise, NJT better not change our medical insurance and we will be going out on disability after running them for a few years because we won't be able to pass the yearly hearing test...

the MP20s have to be one of the loudest locomotives ever built from in the cab. How what they became is "progress" i have no idea, but i never thought Id say it, but for a lot of things, id prefer the smelly/dirty/dark cabs of the FHs that they once were. The seats are comfy tho :) But get that engine wound up dragging a heavy load of cars and you really can't hear yourself think inbetween the engine screaming and the damn electrical cabinet whistling there have been times when I have to cut the power simply to hear the radio (on full blast of course) and the crew talking to me.

Its gonan crack me up - people moan about the Geeps and the HEP motors screaming and the droan of the PL42s in notch 3 while providing HEP in the yards. These things are gonna sound like the biggest sewing machine in the world - x2!
  by blockline4180

ATCFault wrote:

Awesome!! i can't wait!!!!!!!!
  by NJTAmtrakGuy

michaelk wrote:
16 June 2011

Trying to understand the rules related to Pueblo giving the OK.

the gist i got from the thread was until the people in Pueblo ok the model, such units aren't allowed to be turned "on" in the US- and that's why NJT always has a second locomotive attached to the one they have in order to move it around?

But was I mistaken in my understanding and they are allowed to be "ON" but just not actually in control? So the second loco is actually sort of baby sitting?

(or where they just saying it's all good in Canada and so as soon as it crossed the border they fired it up- no matter what Pueblo has to say about it?)
I’m not too sure about the rules at Pueblo either but I happened to see 4500 coupled to a multilevel cab car and it’s pan was up. No other engines where coupled to it.
  by cruiser939

Jtgshu wrote:
ATCFault wrote:
I hope the cabs are quiet - otherwise, NJT better not change our medical insurance and we will be going out on disability after running them for a few years because we won't be able to pass the yearly hearing test...
From what I've witnessed on cab videos of the 4501 testing in Peublo, it sounds pretty comparable to a PL42 under load.
  by Jtgshu

Well thats good to hear (pun intended - HA!)

I kill me......

(bonus points for anyone who remembers what THATS from :) )
  by keyboardkat

16 June 2011

CANADA: Montréal commuter rail authority Agence Métropolitaine de Transport took delivery of its first Bombardier-built ALP-45 electro-diesel locomotives on June 9. The first of 20 locos was officially received by AMT President & CEO Joël Gauthier and the Vice-President of Business Development & Communications for Bombardier Transportation North America Ann MacDonald.

Built at Kassel in Germany, the locomotive was shipped from Hamburg to Newark, New Jersey, and moved to Montréal under its own power; it will be commissiond at AMT’s Saint-Eustache depot where the Deux-Montagnes commuter EMUs are maintained. The remaining locos are to be delivered at the rate of one a month, allowing AMT to expand services on its five existing lines and open the Train de l’Est route now under development.

‘The acquisition of these all-new locomotives will open the door for some clear improvements throughout greater Montréal’s commuter train network’, said Gauthier. ‘Combined with the deployment of 160 double-decker passenger cars, these locomotives will increase the rush-hour capacity of AMT commuter trains by 70%’ accommodating up to 43 000 additional trips per day.

The dual-mode locomotives were ordered in August 2008, following a request for proposals issued jointly with New Jersey Transit, which is buying 26 ALP-45s. AMT’s C$236·3m order includes an option for a further 10. Its investment is being 75% financed by the Ministère des Transports du Québec.

AMT says the fleet expansion was ‘imperative’, as commuter rail ridership had more than doubled in the 14 years since the authority took charge of the services. Gauthier confirmed that ‘electrifying the entire AMT network is now a distinct possibility’, adding that the results of a feasibility study being undertaken by AMT and local electricity supplier Hydro-Québec ‘are expected very soon’.

Interesting, since the Montreal commuter electrification is 2,400v. d.c. and the NYP-Northeast Corridor system is 11,000v. 25 hz a.c. Or has the Montreal system been changed to a.c.? I know they got rid of some of their EMUs some years back. Some of the cab trailer cars wound up on Conway Scenic RR in New Hampshire.