Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Amtrak7

Hudson, Harlem and New Haven Line service is currently stopped due to signal issues. Appropriate personnel are responding. We will provide additional details as they become available.
Alert was sent at 8:21pm.

Did RCC go down?
  by Saugatuck

I was on the train that got stopped last night outside Greens Farms.

I am on the 6:31 right now. Not a good scene.

I've been riding the New Haven line for 7 years. It has never been this bad, not even close. I used to listen in amazement as the old-timers spoke of how it was during the Penn Central years. Now I know first hand.

Seriously, love you MNRR but get your maintenance act together.
  by DutchRailnut

not just new haven, entire RR is down due to computer failure.
  by Saugatuck

Dutch! I know! That's great news! Now I feel much better! Thanks, dude!
  by DutchRailnut

at least trains have power , heat etc
  by MNCRR9000

I'm surprised with the occ renovation they did a while back that they don't have any backup systems for this type of situation. Don't they also have a backup OCC?
  by Saugatuck

Okay, since no one else seems aware that the emperor has no clothes, allow me to announce that...the emperor has no clothes.
This means that it appears, perhaps, that we are looking at systemic failure: failure to follow established safety procedures, failure to maintain equipment, infrastructure, and yes, yes, even software systems.
"Oh, but Saugatuck, these are just isolated incidents that could happen to any large, complex organization that must deal with old equipment, grouchy passengers, schlocky politicians, etcetera. This is not an indication of an organization in serious trouble. Not at all."

Bridgeport, West Haven, the garbage train, the Mt Vernon power issue, SDV, last night's catenary, tonight's software failure. You cannot say that these are but isolated, tragic, unrelated...incidents/acts of God/unfortunate occurrences but nothing indicative of structural, institutional failure. Come on, really? After 30 years of pretty damn good operations (especially 2000-2010) all of this in less than one year? No one else thinks there's something going on here beyond coincidence?
  by DutchRailnut

FOPX says its Obama's fault, and Boner(Boehner) blames unions ;-)
  by MBTA1016

That's funny Dutch haha. In all seriousness will metro north ever catch a break from anything?
Last edited by MBTA1016 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by DutchRailnut

trains are moving again as of 15 minutes ago, still no signals on Danbury branch.
  by Saugatuck

I blame management.

Come on, -someone- show me where I am wrong.

Yes, I am annoyed, first last night on the train on which some catenary fell, now this.

Oh, re catenary, yes, MNRR pr department, that is correct, it is 100 years old. And when you took over, it was 69 years old. And so the reason why it hasn't been properly maintained or replaced since '83 is...? Lack of funds?
  by RearOfSignal

This happens every once in a while sometimes sporadically and sometimes system wide as it did a few years ago on an early Sunday morning stuck on train for 3 hours. It's not that trains cannot move, just that signals can't be displayed and switches thrown. Nevertheless, a major inconvenience for all involved. I'm sure that someone tomorrow will have a news article about how this proves MNR is a money eating death trap so hide your children and women from this evil called Metro-North.
  by NH2060

Saugatuck wrote:Okay, since no one else seems aware that the emperor has no clothes, allow me to announce that...the emperor has no clothes.
This means that it appears, perhaps, that we are looking at systemic failure: failure to follow established safety procedures, failure to maintain equipment, infrastructure, and yes, yes, even software systems.
"Oh, but Saugatuck, these are just isolated incidents that could happen to any large, complex organization that must deal with old equipment, grouchy passengers, schlocky politicians, etcetera. This is not an indication of an organization in serious trouble. Not at all."

Bridgeport, West Haven, the garbage train, the Mt Vernon power issue, SDV, last night's catenary, tonight's software failure. You cannot say that these are but isolated, tragic, unrelated...incidents/acts of God/unfortunate occurrences but nothing indicative of structural, institutional failure. Come on, really? After 30 years of pretty damn good operations (especially 2000-2010) all of this in less than one year? No one else thinks there's something going on here beyond coincidence?
Saugatuck wrote:I blame management.

Yes, I am annoyed, first last night on the train on which some catenary fell, now this.

Oh, re catenary, yes, MNRR pr department, that is correct, it is 100 years old. And when you took over, it was 69 years old. And so the reason why it hasn't been properly maintained or replaced since '83 is...? Lack of funds?
You'll have better luck blaming Mother Nature. It's not only been cold but BITTERLY cold (highs in the 20s lows near 0) in the NYC area consistently for days with no end in sight; this kind of thing is not unheard of, but not common either. Like RearOfSignal said this happens once in awhile and I'm sure this deep freeze has something to do with it in some way.
  by DutchRailnut

Saugatuck wrote:I blame management.

actually yes, from state line (Port Chester) to New Haven is funded by CDOT, and since you taxpayers bet on wrong horses ass (Rowland) the maintenance for New Haven line is at least 8 years behind.
If it were not for Jodi Rell you would still ride in 45 year old cattle cars with no heat and holes in floor.
MN is operator of service in Connecticut but funding is Connecticut taxpayer via CDOT.