Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by RRChef

Scotty
Nice List. Regarding ex-LIRR S-1 417, you have the owner listed as a ??. I think it is safe to assume that this engine is abandoned. Many people(including myself) have attempted to locate the owner of this unit, but it's like he never existed. Either that or he's in the witness protection program! :P

You have the status of Alco shop switcher #5 listed as ??. Do you have anymore info on the status? #5 is a subject near and dear to my heart(Paul's too) and I would like to know what's going on.

by Richard Glueck

417 is said to have a cracked block. I'm wondering if the property owners would simply give her to one of the LI Museums as a tax deductable donation? My guess is she'd have to be stripped and loaded on flatbed trucks or flatcars for removal.

by scottychaos

RRChef wrote:Scotty
Nice List. Regarding ex-LIRR S-1 417, you have the owner listed as a ??. I think it is safe to assume that this engine is abandoned. Many people(including myself) have attempted to locate the owner of this unit, but it's like he never existed. Either that or he's in the witness protection program! :P

You have the status of Alco shop switcher #5 listed as ??. Do you have anymore info on the status? #5 is a subject near and dear to my heart(Paul's too) and I would like to know what's going on.
Chef,
no, sorry, I dont know anything else about those units..
everything I know I put on that page!
the December 1998 edition of Railpace "New York, the "Alco Empire" State " simply says "privately owned" for 417 at Colonie..so no one knew even then!
and a recent thread in the NY forum about the Colonie units:
http://64.78.30.219/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11096
also sheds no light on the matter..no one seems to know!

Alco #5 is at least at a known tourist railroad, so her prospects are much better..I will try to find out if she is operating or not..

thanks for all the help everyone!
it is greatly appreciated..
Scot

by oddball

an FA power pack still exists at the danbury railway museum, however it sits with on blocks with its wheels under another locomotive, the cab looks pretty nice though....im pretty sure its 617

by LIRR-35

Regarding the ALCO FA cab owned by the Friends of Locomotive #35, it is currently located in Mitchel Field, Garden City. It will eventually be relocated to the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum in Oyster Bay.

It is the cab from former New haven #0401. The unit was donated to the LIRR in the early 1960's where the cab was saved as a photo prop for the 1964/65 Worlds Fair. It is in the final stages of restoration and will be repainted into the LIRR Worlds Fair gray and orange scheme.

See the web site for details. www.lirr35.org
  by H.F.Malone

It had better NOT be the cab of NH 0401--- last time I looked, that one was still attached to the rest of 0401, in Connecticut!

The cab that went to LIRR for the Fair came from NH 0402.
  by Ricshaw

I was in Brooklyn yesterday, and took a drive past the NYCH property. They had S-1 # 21 parked by the fence. It hasn't operated in quite some time. It doesn't look like it's going to be operating on the NYCH. It would need extensive repairs. Oh well!
  by Mr rt

Both those light blue ols Alcos are dead Jim.
NYCH has a couple of leasers in Greenville.

by Lupo 10

Kirk: "Bones, what about those NYCH Alco's in Bush Terminal?"

McCoy: "They're dead Jim"

Kirk: Scotty, two to beam up. There are no signs of live Alco's here on Long Island"