• Alcos Currently For Sale

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

by RS-3

Apparently ECTB is associated with TVRM. Anyone know if its for service? Or what TVRM's plans are for it? It has also been mentioned this unit may be headed "NE of Knoxville" (nothing NE of Knoxville but probably NW at SARM?).

RS

by Alcoman

RS-3 wrote:Apparently ECTB is associated with TVRM. Anyone know if its for service? Or what TVRM's plans are for it? It has also been mentioned this unit may be headed "NE of Knoxville" (nothing NE of Knoxville but probably NW at SARM?).

RS
How could this RS-18 be up for sale then?

by RS-3

Isn't one of the RS-18u's on the O&H provaterly owned? (There is still two RS-18u's there right?)

RS

by 2spot

According to Scot Lawrence's Alcos of NY State page, there are only 6 RS-18s in New York State. Only 4 are listed as running. Two likely don't qualify; One belongs to the town of Port Henry(a display that runs?), Another is ex-CN (DLW1801). This leaves Buffalo Southern 1847, and Owego Harford 1811 & 1850.
Okay, I only counted 5. But still, it would seem to come down to BSOR 1847, and the OHRY 1811 & 1850. Of course this is speculation on my part ( I'm nowhere near there ) but it might help narrow the choices a bit.

by scottychaos

2spot wrote:According to Scot Lawrence's Alcos of NY State page, there are only 6 RS-18s in New York State. Only 4 are listed as running. Two likely don't qualify; One belongs to the town of Port Henry(a display that runs?), Another is ex-CN (DLW1801). This leaves Buffalo Southern 1847, and Owego Harford 1811 & 1850.
Okay, I only counted 5. But still, it would seem to come down to BSOR 1847, and the OHRY 1811 & 1850. Of course this is speculation on my part ( I'm nowhere near there ) but it might help narrow the choices a bit.
its also quite possible another RS18 has snuck into NY state without me knowing about it..if no one saw it and posted it on-line anywhere yet, I wouldnt know its in the state! :wink:
sometimes Alcos lurk quietly for awhile before anyone spots them..

so its possible, even likely, this is a RS18 thats not on the NY alco list yet.

Scot

by pablo

Are the RS-18u's cat rebuilds?

Dave Becker

by The Man

The RS-18u is the Ex CP 1850. I know the owner and he tells me he just does not need it. He got it from the CP when the OHRY got the 1811. The owner of the OHRY and the 1850 are not the same.

JJH

by scottychaos

The Man wrote:The RS-18u is the Ex CP 1850. I know the owner and he tells me he just does not need it. He got it from the CP when the OHRY got the 1811. The owner of the OHRY and the 1850 are not the same.

JJH
which RS-18u is the ex CP 1850?
the one for sale in Syracuse and listed on railswap?
has it left Owego then?

here is a photo from 2 years ago:

http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... 8-1850.jpg

thanks,
Scot

by Nova55

pablo wrote:Are the RS-18u's cat rebuilds?

Dave Becker
Nope. Just chopnosed.

by 2spot

Thats odd. I'm not saying you're wrong, but the listing for the RS-18u has it on a shortline that interchanges with CP & NS. That should be the BSOR 1847. The OHRY interchanges with NS only. Are both for sale?
Edit: its also on Railsale too.

Edit again. 1850 is owned by Cayuga Railway. Its listed that way on Mountain Railway.com. So is 1811.

by scottychaos

2spot wrote:Thats odd. I'm not saying you're wrong, but the listing for the RS-18u has it on a shortline that interchanges with CP & NS. That should be the BSOR 1847. The OHRY interchanges with NS only. Are both for sale?
Edit: its also on Railsale too.

Edit again. 1850 is owned by Cayuga Railway. Its listed that way on Mountain Railway.com. So is 1811.
ok..this is starting to come together! :P

OHRY in Owego, NY could be said to interchange with both NS and CP..
NS owns the southern tier main through Owego, but CP still has the ancestral D&H trackage rights, so technically CP runs through Owego too.
(even though NS now handles the CP trains..they are still CP trains..I think..)

The reference to RS18u 1850 being owned by "Cayuga Railway" is probably a misprint for the actual owner of the unit, as listed in the railswap ad, which is:

Cayuga Rail Leasing, LLC
Syracuse, New York
USA

SO the unit is owned by "Cayuga Rail Leasing, LLC" which is based in Syracuse, but the unit is not in Syracuse, its in Owego.
(IF its actually 1850 the ad is referring to! which it likely is.)

There is also an on-line reference for the ""Cayuga Railway Co LLC"
also based in Syracuse..probably same outfit as "Cayuga Rail Leasing, LLC"...there is no actual operating "Cayuga Railway" or "Cayuga Railroad" with tracks and locomotives and all..not an actual literal operating shortline, but a leasing company it seems.

There was once a Cayuga Railroad..in the 1860's, not related to this discussion! ;)

so IMO, based on all the evidence so far..
The unit in the railswap ad is most likely the 1850.
its in Owego...been there for years.
owned by ""Cayuga Railway Co LLC" or "Cayuga Rail Leasing, LLC"
which is in Syracuse.

There is no actual operating Cayuga Railroad.

Scot

by Matt Langworthy

2spot wrote:According to Scot Lawrence's Alcos of NY State page, there are only 6 RS-18s in New York State. Only 4 are listed as running. Two likely don't qualify; One belongs to the town of Port Henry(a display that runs?), Another is ex-CN (DLW1801). This leaves Buffalo Southern 1847, and Owego Harford 1811 & 1850.
Number 1801 does run and last I knew she was assigned to the Depew, Lancaster & Western... so I count her as operating.

by 2spot

I didn't count it as not operating, I excluded it as the one listed on Railswap as it has a CN heritage, as opposed to the background listed.

by scottychaos

As of 8/18/07, both 1811 and 1850 are still in Owego, NY.

Scot

by uhaul

Are these two units near the train station that you see as you are heading south on New York Route 96? Are these the units named rocky & Bullwinkle?