Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Tommy Meehan

We have heard a lot about the Alcohol or Anti-Freeze trains, below I pasted a pic of one. The shot was taken by John Volpe on Dec 12, 2003 at Ronkonkoma. Shown is MP15ACs 166 and 168 with E401 in the middle. (An old M1?)

I'm not a railroader but I work in a factory where we use various grades of alcohol in mfg. The stuff is explosive and requires careful handling, special pumps, etc. Not sure how LIRR does it - the combination of diesels and live third rail seems somewhat dangerous. But I know they have been running these trains since the 1920s at least so they obviously know how to handle it.

Will the anti-freeze train fit on the Atlantic Branch west of Jay???

tommy

by bodhisattva

E15s dont fit in the tunnels. Only engs that can fit are the 1001s and they arent used on the alcohol train.

by Clem

It's no longer alcohol. It's actually a type of anti-freeze. In the old days they used alcohol, and yes, it went on fire and caused explosions, burnt bridges, etc.

Clem

by District D RTC

It's no longer alcohol. It's actually a type of anti-freeze. In the old days they used alcohol, and yes, it went on fire and caused explosions, burnt bridges, etc.
Now all the drunks need to find something better to do on a friday night....
  by Tommy Meehan

The anti-freeze train can't run on the Atlantic Branch west of Jay?

Then did that line go down during the big storm of last month???

(I read on the storm thread the two anti-freeze trains ran
everywhere else, I think. Even the West Hempstead Branch.)

tommy

by Long Island 7285

I doupt it, It's mostly underground or elevated on a open grid; so snow cannot build up. There may have been problems but none I've heard of