Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by railtrailbiker

New Haven Line riders are a long-suffering bunch.

They've put up with subpar service for years. But during the past year, their complaints have become louder as the little green monster has invaded their train cars.

They've watched fellow commuters on Metro-North Railroad's Hudson and Harlem lines alight from shiny, new M7 trains, where the air conditioning and lights work properly and the bathrooms spread no telltale odors.

With all its fiscal worries, New York still managed to find the money to buy 300 M7 train cars to replace its oldest 30- and 40-year-old cars. Meanwhile, Connecticut, which is responsible for funding 75 percent of the cost of any new cars for the New Haven Line, has sat on its hands while the line's M2 cars wear out and break down more often.
http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs ... 018/NEWS02

by Otto Vondrak

Geez, those New Haven Line riders are a bunch of whiners.

Have all the M-4's and M-6's gone to seed too? I know they make up a smaller part of the roster, but there must be some reprieve in the new equipment.

-otto-

by Nester

David Telesha wrote:Also, I think NY should put some cash in as long as NH trains have to stop in the NY suburbs.
They (NY) are putting up 25% of the cost. NY putting in cash is not the problem this time -- CDOT has done a horrible job of financing capital projects in conjunction with MN.

Nester

by Lackawanna484

CT has never been eager to finance their share of the New Haven line. It's a huge political football. Been that way for 30 years.

But, that said, we're talking about towns where the average house costs a million dollars, and the average income is 200 grand. Some kind of special improvement district tax, real estate transfer tax, etc would go a ways towards putting CDOT rail on a stable footing

by shadyjay

Granted, now, I only ride MN a handful of times a year, but every time I have been on their trains, I've never experienced any problems with the equipment. Outside of some smelly brakes here and there.

The thought behind everything is that with all the surcharges and fees that CT riders pay, there hasn't been anything new to show for it all in a long time...outside of the fact that service continues.

Don't CT riders on the NHL pay the most out of any commuter line in the country? Sure, its (probably) the most complicated commuter line (requiring both electric overhead catenary and third rail...something the NH has had to deal with since the 1910s), and CDOT/CT's lackluster funding over the years. At least we have a governor in the hot seat who is trying to ease the situation. Slowly yes, but new cars don't come overnight (especially those which aren't even designed yet).

-JH

by Lackawanna484

shadyjay wrote:

Don't CT riders on the NHL pay the most out of any commuter line in the country?

-JH
That would be an interesting comparison. Costs for a 10, 20 and 50 mile monthly pass or one way ticket plus parking at several major heavy rail / light rail operators. NJT used to have wide variations in costs even among its various heritage lines, but they've been narrowed.

by Nester

shadyjay wrote:Granted, now, I only ride MN a handful of times a year, but every time I have been on their trains, I've never experienced any problems with the equipment. Outside of some smelly brakes here and there.-JH
There are a lot of problems on the New Haven Line. Equipment shortages (and malfunctions) were a big issue this past winter for some riders.

The experiences of the occasional off-peak rider almost never match those of a daily commuter or an employee. I am sure there were plenty of people who thought that the subways were safe in the 70's and 80's, since they only rode on Saturday mornings :) It's all a matter of perspective.

Nester

by RailBus63

I consider Croton-Harmon and Stamford to be similar in terms of distance and transit time, and have used both for day trips into the city.

One way peak fare from Croton-Harmon to GCT is $9.75.

One way peak fare from Stamford to GCT is $12.25.

Nuf said.

JD