Railroad Forums 

• Age and Canadian RR's

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#125518  by NatureBoy

Hi. I have always for as long as I can remember wanted to become a locomotive engineer.

For the past year I have been applying for all of Canadian National's Conductor job postings, as well as all of Canadian Pacific's Train Service postings in Canada. I'd estimate that I've applied for about 10 positions between the two Roads. (I've noticed that the Canadian railroads don't have nearly as many conductor/train service positions as the roads south of the border have. Its too bad that I am unable to apply for anything in the States as I live in Toronto, Canada). Unfortunatly, I have yet to be invited to a hiring information session.

I am a 23 years old. I've spent two years in college, and graduated with a police foundations diploma in addition to high school. As soon as I graduated from college I was employed as a security officer when I was 21 yrs old, and have been doing that since. I have been licensed for 7 yrs, and maintain a spotless driving record. I feel as though my age might be holding me back at the moment, but I don't know for sure. I really dislike my current job and would love to be hired out as a conductor asap. I'm a bit confused as to why I haven't been invited to a hiring session, because I feel that I have a pretty solid resume.

Just a couple of questions for all of you who have been hired or working for a railroad:

1. Do you think its my age that is holding me back?

2. Would getting a job in a different field further my chances of being hired? If so, what field?

3. I'm contemplating going back to school to complete a railroad training course at college. The course runs for only one year, however, it would cost me half of my yearly salary to enroll. At this point in my life I am just making enough to get by, but, I would get a loan if it will get me a step closer to being hired. I am aware that either CN or CPR would train a new hire...do you think the college course would be worth it?

4. Lastly, if anyone works for, or is familiar with either Canadian National or Canadian Pacific Railway's hiring practices or able to give me any info regarding what these two roads look for when hiring someone, it would really be appreciated.

Sorry for the length, and Thanks in advance for helping me out with these questions.

Regards,
Andrew Hill

#125619  by nickleinonen

age isn't an issue usually... with cn, keep sending in applications.. i did that before getting my job at the diesel shop...

#126106  by NatureBoy

Anyone else? :wink:
 #126220  by steam371

Hey Natureboy, try the shortlines or switching railroads instead. I work for a switching railroad on the west coast, did'nt have to go to railroad school and make a good living. Yeah, I don't make as much as a class 1 but i'm home everynight, in my own bed, and getting a good railroad education with On the Job Trainning. And to be honest, my ass isn't getting large from sitting on it from road service!!LOL
Check out Omni Tracks, I think they have some operations in Toronto and or Ontario.
PM me if you want

#126256  by UPRR engineer

Have you tryed going to the yard office and talking to a manager?

Hiring out in a switching outfit is dangerous, BAD IDEA. I did it, and i dont think its a good idea. The injury rate is so high that the railroad might frown on you and think you have too many bad habits to break. Dont do it dude. Find out where they are hiring and go to the yard office and talk to a manager about hiring out. Security officer i see, have you ever done any work? (construction, work for the city, parks and rec., outside jobs?) That might help you out some.

#126504  by NatureBoy

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. No, I have not worked an 'outside' job as of yet, however, I was also thinking that something along those lines of what you mentioned UPRR engineer.

steam371, thanks for the reply. The reason I am hoping to hire on with a class 1 is because the 'on the road' aspect of the job really appeals to me.

Regards,
Andrew.
 #126677  by UPRR engineer

steam371 wrote:Hey Natureboy, try the shortlines or switching railroads instead. I work for a switching railroad on the west coast, did'nt have to go to railroad school and make a good living. Yeah, I don't make as much as a class 1 but i'm home everynight, in my own bed, and getting a good railroad education with On the Job Trainning. And to be honest, my ass isn't getting large from sitting on it from road service!!LOL
Check out Omni Tracks, I think they have some operations in Toronto and or Ontario.
PM me if you want
On the subject of not getting fat being a contract switcher, they worked me soo hard i couldnt eat enough food. I even tryed drinking weight gain shakes and that didnt even work, slave labor. I enjoyed the work but there was alot of crap to put up with.

#126779  by CSX Conductor

NatureBoy wrote:The reason I am hoping to hire on with a class 1 is because the 'on the road' aspect of the job really appeals to me.
Sounds like you have no family / girlfriend.....LOL

The road will probably get tiresome after a while. :wink:

#126880  by NatureBoy

I have a supportive gf who understands what it means to make sacrifices to pursue a dream, however, I don't have a family yet...not too sure whats humerous about that though.

#127102  by CSX Conductor

Sorry about the laughing. But it is good to know that she is supportive. As for starting a family together, if the two of you plan on doing it, I would suggest waiting a few years until you can hold a regular assignment.......it will be alot easier on you. It's sad to see how many spouses habeen driven away because of the railroad lifestyle :-(

Anyways, good luck!

BTW, perhaps she would be interested in this site. :wink:

#128705  by RailroadDog

Natureboy,

In regards to the expensive school that last a whole year why
don't you check out the National Academy of Railroad Science
in Overland Park, KS.

The course is 6 weeks, a lot shorter than a year. This would look
excellent on your resume with the Canadian railroads.

They do train their new hires (the Canadian rails) but the school would greatly improve your chances of getting hired.

Good luck,

Sean

#128952  by NatureBoy

Hey guys,
Thanks a lot for taking the time too clue me in on the details. RailroadDog; the National Academy of Railroad Science looks like a much better option.
CSX Conductor; thanks for the site.

Take care
Andrew