• AEM7 Disposition (and other motors - HHP8)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by DutchRailnut

until someone produces the lease, or reports removal of ACSES system from HHP-8 its is all speculation.
a 15 year old ACSES system is so outdated you may as well put in new stuff.
the Genesis use standard cab signal racks, they all have cab signal coils and ATC input and trainstop wired to a standard card rack, the ACSES system from a HHP-8 may not be compatible with the rack in Genesis.
  by ApproachMedium

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
The ACSES and cab signal units are most certainly going to be salvaged as spare parts or retrofits for other rolling stock. Those systems generally aren't specific to any one loco make and unless there's some fine print in the Bombardier contract that keeps them off-limits I can't see why Amtrak wouldn't take those out and either bank them in a warehouse or outfit a few more P42's for compatibility with the East Coast equipment pool. It's not like any of the RR's that would ever conceivably buy one of those turkeys (and no, the MBTA never ever will) has any native ACSES or cab territory or ever will. Rest of the country is going ICTS for PTC sans any underlying pulse-code cabs layer.

The US&S cab signal system that was made for the HHP-8 is proprietary to bombardier equipment. Im not sure if its compatible with the M8 cars but I know its LONWorks interface is specific to the HHP-8 and HST class. Some of the cards and components may be able to be sold back to US&S or reused for current HSTs, but they are zero compatible with anything else amtrak has or is buying. The ACSES cards could have been reused but with the latest generation of ACSES components replacing these they could maybe be sold to the commuter railroads but will eventually be useless to Amtrak.
  by ApproachMedium

DutchRailnut wrote:until someone produces the lease, or reports removal of ACSES system from HHP-8 its is all speculation.
a 15 year old ACSES system is so outdated you may as well put in new stuff.
the Genesis use standard cab signal racks, they all have cab signal coils and ATC input and trainstop wired to a standard card rack, the ACSES system from a HHP-8 may not be compatible with the rack in Genesis.
The old genesis racks are being removed and an entirely new system is being installed, from the same vendor as all of amtraks other stuff PHW. PHW is now owned by Siemens. The cards etc in the HHP/HST are too old. Even though they look the same, its not compatible anymore with the latest software.
  by ThirdRail7

trainbrain wrote:I have heard that HHP-8 #664 has kicked the bucket. If so, then more than half the fleet is gone. Does anyone know if it will run again, or if it is done for good?

If you read above, you'll see I already mentioned that only 6 remain. I'll let the list posters tell you which ones are running vs which ones are stored.
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Coral reefs? Worked for the MTA. . .
I don't think the fish will have them!
  by Matt Johnson

Is there a toilet in the HHP-8s? If so, are things like toilet paper rolls compatible with other locomotive types?
  by dowlingm

Matt Johnson wrote:Is there a toilet in the HHP-8s? If so, are things like toilet paper rolls compatible with other locomotive types?
  by Matt Johnson

I just hope it's not too late to get one of these stylish t-shirts!

by ACeInTheHole

Good ol' #925 was apparently spotted cruising over the Hell Gate running under its own power lite with #934. Maybe positioning it for a run out of Penn Station? Either way, good to see that derailment a month ago didnt knock it out. Before i get flamed for being a drama queen, realistically, new Sprinters are popping up left and right in revenue service these last couple weeks. While that was a minor derailment, AC re man regardless, there really could be a case made for not bothering to fix #925, and just sticking it in the Bear deadline.
  by ThirdRail7

ACeInTheHole wrote:Good ol' #925 was apparently spotted cruising over the Hell Gate running under its own power lite with #934. Maybe positioning it for a run out of Penn Station? Either way, good to see that derailment a month ago didnt knock it out. Before i get flamed for being a drama queen, realistically, new Sprinters are popping up left and right in revenue service these last couple weeks. While that was a minor derailment, AC re man regardless, there really could be a case made for not bothering to fix #925, and just sticking it in the Bear deadline.
For the record, the deadline for the AEM-7s isn't likely to be Bear. As for you being a drame queen, you are what you are and this post doesn't make or break you. :P

That being said, you are right. We were told that unit was going to be put aside pending all of the investigations. However, it is WIL where it is supposedly undergoing repairs.

I guess it was low on your list, huh? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
  by ACeInTheHole

ThirdRail7 wrote:
ACeInTheHole wrote:Good ol' #925 was apparently spotted cruising over the Hell Gate running under its own power lite with #934. Maybe positioning it for a run out of Penn Station? Either way, good to see that derailment a month ago didnt knock it out. Before i get flamed for being a drama queen, realistically, new Sprinters are popping up left and right in revenue service these last couple weeks. While that was a minor derailment, AC re man regardless, there really could be a case made for not bothering to fix #925, and just sticking it in the Bear deadline.
For the record, the deadline for the AEM-7s isn't likely to be Bear. As for you being a drame queen, you are what you are and this post doesn't make or break you. :P

That being said, you are right. We were told that unit was going to be put aside pending all of the investigations. However, it is WIL where it is supposedly undergoing repairs.

I guess it was low on your list, huh? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
If youre referring to the decommissioning list that was posted awhile back, let me clear one thing up, that was Fan Railer who posted it, I personally got rid of my copy off my phone and do not reference it for squat. You harping on me or anyone else for that matterfor his post does absolutely nothing to advance the conversation, it only repeatedly beats a long buried horse that everyone has forgotten about, because I for one had forgotten it until you mentioned it again. Now, back to topic.

With regard to it being in Wilmington, were there any minor repairs required to get it to Wilmington from where it was towed post accident? Or was it just sitting pending the investigation, merely want to get a general scope of the damage inflicted on it without skimming too far into details.
  by ApproachMedium

925 was in Wilmington for a heavy repair. It should be released again soon.

I dont think Amtrak will have a problem storing engines at Wilmington soon as the level of activity there dwindles.
  by ThirdRail7

ACeInTheHole wrote:
If youre referring to the decommissioning list that was posted awhile back, let me clear one thing up, that was Fan Railer who posted it, I personally got rid of my copy off my phone and do not reference it for squat. You harping on me or anyone else for that matterfor his post does absolutely nothing to advance the conversation, it only repeatedly beats a long buried horse that everyone has forgotten about, because I for one had forgotten it until you mentioned it again. Now, back to topic.
Riiight. You were the hero that told someone not to post it because of how sensitive the information is. My apologies. I forgot. As for long buried and my harping, it is FAR from long buried. As a matter of fact, every time I have to censor information or think twice about posting things that some people appreciated, I am reminded of how information has been passed around in some sort of buffy circle and the wrong people found out. Every time I look at a mailing, I'm reminded about "confidentiality," which sucks because there is more going on now than ever.

So...no...it is not long buried. Notice the lack of railroader participation as of late? It is ongoing. Even the ones that participate are stifled to the point of it being silly and almost not worthwhile. Particularly when I come into this thread and say stupid things like "And then there were five," hoping that someone will now mobilize, pass things around their circle and produce the information that I would have probably blurted out before (hey....engine 6-- is on its way to deadline). So, accept my coping mechanisms for what they are..or not. It is up to you. You needn't read or respond to my posts. I mostly post for the group that may want pictures and information.

Speaking of which...and then there were five...was not an example.
  by Fan Railer

ThirdRail7 wrote:
ACeInTheHole wrote:
Riiight. You were the hero that told someone not to post it because of how sensitive the information is. My apologies. I forgot. As for long buried and my harping, it is FAR from long buried. As a matter of fact, every time I have to censor information or think twice about posting things that some people appreciated, I am reminded of how information has been passed around in some sort of buffy circle and the wrong people found out. Every time I look at a mailing, I'm reminded about "confidentiality," which sucks because there is more going on now than ever.

So...no...it is not long buried. Notice the lack of railroader participation as of late? It is ongoing. Even the ones that participate are stifled to the point of it being silly and almost not worthwhile. Particularly when I come into this thread and say stupid things like "And then there were five," hoping that someone will now mobilize, pass things around their circle and produce the information that I would have probably blurted out before (hey....engine 6-- is on its way to deadline). So, accept my coping mechanisms for what they are..or not. It is up to you. You needn't read or respond to my posts. I mostly post for the group that may want pictures and information.

Speaking of which...and then there were five...was not an example.
I've been silent on this for quite a while now, but I feel it's clear something up.

I did not personally receive that decomissioning list via email or any other private transmission; it was not given to me with express instructions that it should not be shared outside of anything. That list was scanned and posted for everyone to see (without any request not to share) by whoever chose to post it. If that did in fact violate some silly confidentiality clause, then perhaps it should not have been posted in the manner than it was posted (with no disclaimer, or instruction not to spread it publicly). Otherwise, I take no qualms in sharing what has already been posted publicly without regard to any supposed rules or regulations; if it's not to be passed around shared, don't put it on a page where everyone can see it.

But I completely understand that your enormous ego needs peons like myself to verbally trash around every once in a while, if only just to boost itself a little, so please, don't mind me and carry on.

Otherwise, to be honest, if this is the way that the situation is in terms of being able to pass information along, I'd rather not know what's going on with locomotive status. It's not worth the stress from both parties, between confidentiality on the part of the railroad/railroader (which, in certain situations, is absolutely stupid), and fans griping for information just to run out and sit for a few hours to catch ONE move. It would be preferable to just go out, catch whatever comes my way, and, if by the next time I fan somewhere on the NEC, the HHP-8s are all retired from revenue, then oh well.
  by ACeInTheHole

Im perfectly aware of the lack of railroad participation recently ThirdRail, do you also notice thatwhen I ask you a question i always taper it with "if the details are confidential you dont have to share", look, im all for informed discussion, but at the same time, I know my bounds and dont want to get one of you guys in trouble. I also need to do a better job picking up your subtle hints.

651 was pulling/pushing a viewliner test extra for some speed testing the other day through PJ. I had no idea the Amtrak HHPs could get along with the cab cars. My bet is itll be either 654 or 651 last man standing for the HHPs. Both seem very strong.