• AEM-7 status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Fan Railer

More info about excursion specifics:
For those of you planning to ride the special, this is some of what you can expect. Photo opportunity at the Halethorpe, MD station. You will be able to detrain and position yourself on either of the long platforms or overhead walkway for video or still photography. Please, stay behind the yellow stripe. The special will reverse out of the station, clear the interlocking and then return into the station for boarding.

Train will operate under the jump-over at Bellevue, DE rather than the normal route of over the jump-over. At Philadelphia, it’s around the wye via the NY&P Subway.

At Wilmington, you’ll have your shop tour. Outside, featured locomotives on display are planned to be an AEM7, HHP8, P42 in Heritage paint scheme, 80 tonner 1100, ACS64 642 and P42 42. Now here’s the disclaimer, a lot can happen between now and June 18. Availability of the 642, 42 and Heritage P42 are all contingent on operating conditions and requirements near June 18.

One last reminder, don’t forget the waiver and this information is correct at time of this broadcast.
  by CLengr

The 3 remaining AEM-7ACs are 917, 942 and 946.
  by ApproachMedium

917 has been back shopped for a month now and so has the 942. Only the 946 has been operational for the last month or so in MARC service.
  by STrRedWolf

ApproachMedium wrote:917 has been back shopped for a month now and so has the 942. Only the 946 has been operational for the last month or so in MARC service.
That must of been 946 hauling MARC 408/421 today. I just saw it pass by Odenton on the way to Baltimore today.

I think they're using that AEM-7 more as MARC has a HHP-8 out for testing the MARC IV cars up in Philadelphia. I noticed that they went back to the HHP-8 when testing the car was completed. There's another thread here for that.
  by ApproachMedium

They are still only using the one AEM-7 AC. I think the 917 may be taking its place soon. It was hauled out of wilmington last night after getting new wheelsets and is alive and kicking in ivy city.
  by ACeInTheHole

Wellp.. The AEM7 excursion train number is a hint of why 942 has been sat... 942(18).
  by ApproachMedium

I dont get it?

But the 917 has been hanging out in ivy city live and running. 946 is in fact still in service on marc.
  by ACeInTheHole

ApproachMedium wrote:I dont get it?

But the 917 has been hanging out in ivy city live and running. 946 is in fact still in service on marc.
942 will lead the June 18th excursion. Maybe they are saving it for that train.
  by ApproachMedium

How do you know 942 will lead that train? Currently its shopped for multiple issues.
  by Fan Railer

ApproachMedium wrote:How do you know 942 will lead that train? Currently its shopped for multiple issues.
Well, they have 5 weeks to fix it up lol. Why would the train number be 942 if 942 wasn't planned to be the leading motor?
  by David Benton

http://media.amtrak.com/2016/05/amtrak- ... comotives/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AMTRAK SAYS FAREWELL TO ICONIC NORTHEAST CORRIDOR LOCOMOTIVES

"On Saturday, June 18, 2016, Amtrak will salute these remarkable machines with a special excursion trip available to the public."
  by ApproachMedium

OK so an old picture of the 945 back when they painted it lol. Thats a DC motor too.