Railroad Forums 

• Active Duty Military to Railroad

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1232974  by JKJ747

Hello everyone!!! I have few questions I would like answered on getting into the rail industry with a military background. Im currently serving as Aircraft Maintainer and I have two years left on my enlistment and looking to go elsewhere. I am interested in being a part of the train crew/conductor trainee and being out in the field not an office job. My first question is how hard is it to hire straight out into this position and how long before I get a response from the company? I have a family wife and currently one child waiting is an option but I have bills to pay. Is this position really competitive and will having a military background pay off? I'm used to working in all conditions (rain, snow, hot desert, being away for long periods of time etc) and I have family who understands that kind of life. I like to plan ahead and don't want to be stuck with no job for months when I do decide to leave so any help is much appreciated. If there is anyone that has come from the military to railroad I would really like there input on what to do and expect. Im also considering going guard/reserve to finish out my last two years to get a jump start on getting a career in the railroad but will the railroad frown on someone having other obligations. I would highly prefer to be in my home state of California or near states and I know UP is closest to where I would like to be in Southern California but what are my chances of getting that location? Thanks in advance for any help.
 #1236436  by destroyer

Man there is so many variables to your questions, but I will try to answer them as a best as I can. Coming from where your have been, I can totally understand your anxiety. Transitioning from the military to civilian life is no easy feat especially if you have a family to support. You said you have two years left on your contract. A little too early to start applying to most railroads because when have positions open they are looking now. I don't think any railroad will "hold a slot" for you that long out. However my friend it is good that you are looking now. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Have a plan and 10 backup plans to that one. I say six months out is a fair amount of time to start applying to most railroads. There are hiring sessions that you have to attend. Tests you will take. Do not assume because you have prior military experience that you are a shoo-in. While some class 1's like veterans, there is no guarantee. I myself am from California. But as it stands, there is no way I am going to go work there. There are a few reasons why I would not work there. 1. There is a little thing on the railroad that if you get hired, is called seniority. (Kind of like rank in the military) With the company I hired on with (actually one of the better ones) seniority is not looking too good in California. IOW, you spend 5-6 months in training then turn around and get furloughed. 2. Cost of living in California sucks. I have a 250,000 home in tulsa. Very very nice. Tell me what that would get you in California. More bang for my buck out here. Oh and if you want to get on with UP, I hope you don't smoke. All railroads will eat up your time. Railroading is a lifestyle. You will either love it or hate it period. The railroad comes FIRST. If you come into the game with that mentality you will be fine. I know it is the the law that all employers must allow those in reserve status to fulfill militaryobligations. The company i work for not only does this but they support it and they love to work with veterans from my experience. Do not limit yourself to live in certain areas. Ask around and talk to certain people that are railroaders if you can. Here is a start. http://www.bnsf.com/careers/military" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
 #1236438  by destroyer

You also.asked what to expect coming from the military to the railroad. Well i initially had reservations because a lot of guys around where i work said that they were similar. At first i didn't think so. There are similarities and there are differences. You be the judge on that one. It's all what you make it my man. To me i look at it like this: I am providing for my family very good and I get to see things others dont. It's good money. But remember SENIORITY. It is somewhat competitive but you have to stand out. Think about going to a promotion board or soldier of the quarter board. Dress professional. For your interview etc etc. You will not believe how many clowns showed up at my hiring session looking like they came straight off the dirt farm. 60 people showed up at my hiring session. The company was looking for 6 people and they told us this straight up. They only picked 4 people. You want to be a conductor. I will tell you this... situational awareness will be your best companion.