Railroad Forums 

• Acela Speeds

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1069212  by Jersey_Mike

Maybe they'll learn that they won't actually have to install new catenary because old school engineers actually knew what they were doing. Oh wait, its Federal money so who cares if its actually needed or not.
 #1069312  by ericr

Would this speed increase/new catenary have any effect on the Millstone Substation? I thought it still wasn't at 100% and there were speed restrictions because of that.
 #1069337  by F-line to Dudley via Park

NRGeep wrote:I wonder if they have plans to eventually increase the Mansfield Ma area (presently 150mph) to 165mph?
Not planned yet, but they might be able to do it after they tri-track Mansfield station. The NEC is straight as a board from East Junction, Attleboro to the very slight curve at East St., Foxbororough. And that curve can probably get taken at full speed. It doesn't do any kind of curving that would require slowdown until S. Main St., Sharon about a half-mile south of that station. About 15 miles of total straightaway.

Commuter rail interference makes that kind of difficult to pull off. Yes, if the track were clear you could run that fast...but there are enough bottlenecks that dispatching >150 through that congestion becomes a futile effort. If the T would only isolate its new 93 MPH-rated locomotive and bi-level coach orders to the Providence Line so they could run commuter rail at Class 5 speed, I don't see why this stretch couldn't do 165 after the Mansfield center passing track is installed.
 #1069406  by NJTSmurf

morris&essex4ever wrote:What's the maximum speed the PRR catenary can handle?
My understanding has always been that the MAS through Jersey for Acela is 135mph. How that was arrived at or determined, I can't say.
 #1069462  by 25Hz

The lines are too of low tension for regular speeds over 140 mph.

If you ran such a test train as an hourly service eventually the lines would bounce free of their braces & get pulled down in spectacular fashion.

Constant tension is the key.

The cat pole foundations might need some work where the ground is more unstable, and they may need to plant a few more guys parallel to the ROW, but it's certainly feasable to go I'd say in the neighborhood of 175 safely after that work is done. The acela is only designed for 165 max, however a next gen acela could in theory go faster through that stretch without much additional modifications. You may end up having to boost the voltage to 15kv if you don't want localized drain spots when other trains pass nearby.
 #1069486  by dt_rt40

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Is constant tension used in the rest of the world (Europe, Eastern Asia/Far East) where speeds are rated at 186 or higher?
Yes, and on some slower lines. Even on a relatively "podunk" line like the one from Zaragoza to San Sebastian, Spain, one sees the characteristic weights and pulleys of CT catenary.
 #1069490  by Matt Johnson

dt_rt40 wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:Is constant tension used in the rest of the world (Europe, Eastern Asia/Far East) where speeds are rated at 186 or higher?
Yes, and on some slower lines. Even on a relatively "podunk" line like the one from Zaragoza to San Sebastian, Spain, one sees the characteristic weights and pulleys of CT catenary.
Once I realized what constant tension catenary was, I was surprised to see that it in fact exists in my hometown of Hazlet, NJ! The pulleys and weights are clearly visible along NJ Transit's North Jersey Coast Line on the segment from Matawan to Long Branch, which was electrified in the late 80's. (I think electric service beyond Matawan started in 1988.)
 #1069497  by 25Hz

Around NASSAU has constant tension as well. This is the "fastest" part of the NEC through nj.

The biggest difference to me of the legacy catenary is the constant tension has pulley cradles holding up the wires vs wrap-around bolt clamps.
 #1069651  by 25Hz

David Benton wrote:We even have constant tension catenary through the middle of the north island in New Zealand . Farmers children use them as swings .
Do they frequent the hospital from shocks & burns?