Railroad Forums 

• ABOUT PASSENGER INFORMATION SYSTEMS IN RAILWAY STATIONS

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#81906  by rainman

I am searching for a document or article about the passenger information systems in railway stations. How should be or what are the standards of passenger information systems?

thanks in advance
 #148978  by vector_one75

While I can't help you with the sprcific info you seek, before I saw your thread I had posted a topic "Station Announcements: in this forum about any historically-preserved station departure announcements (cassette or CD?) and/or arrival board chalkboard calligraphy (photographs?) that anyone might have to share with. The two threads do go for a somewhat common topic so there may be mutual possibler results.

I am an engineer, and since 1983 have been in public transportation in Perth, Western Australia and while my direct involvement has been in road and other infrastructure facility design and traffic management for urban/suburban bus services (and to some degree our limited suburban rail service), I did play a role in the Perth City Busport project in 1989/90 where public information systems were incidental to my own personal work, so I have had a cursory involvement in that area, but not sufficiently versed to the degree that you appear to need. The Busport is a major "indoor" bus terminal of 5 platforms with overhead concourse and passenger amenities very similar to a major rail terminal.

Our Perth major rail stations are two: one is Westail Terminal for standard gauge transcontinental line plus a number of Western Australian bus services, all of which are very elementary in both scope of service and technology of information systems and nothing to brag about; and Perth City Station for narrow gauge (3'-6") 4 (+ 1 under construction) suburban lines plus one intercity service, and there too, the passenger information system os nothing to write home about. As I already mentioned in the "Station Announcement" topic thread, our announcements are very generic and pre-recorded to simply say what line, stations, platform, and "in 5 minutes" which is really a poor way of doing it, in my estimation at least.

The best passenger information systems we have are not at the major stations, but at intermediate rail stations along the lines with push-button intercom to a central bank of operators for passengers to inquire, plus an automated displasy and push-button audible announcement of how many minutes til the next train. On the bus side, we have a free intra-CBD service known as the "CAT" buses (Central Area Transit) with simply a "how many minutes-to-next-bus" wth a similar push button for audible this message. With the new 5th line being constructed, there may be scope to improve the informatin system, but I am not privvy to this.

Also, some years ago I was on a Tender (Australian terminology, for USA read: Competitive Bidding Process) Selection Panel for a project known as "Real Time Information System" for a particular expedited corridor bus service in Perth which would also have involved an automated bus priority sestem on the road and that is where my presence was necessary, as opposed to any real expertise in the information field. Unfortunately the project folded because of disagreements among the selection panel or "best system for the purpose intended" or "lowest cost bid" issues, and the idea was abandoned.

However, if I can find out from the people directly involved with these two projects who might still be around in this field, I'll try to find whatever I can as time may permit, but don't hold your breath!

In the meantime please feel free to discuss any of this with me directly off-forum if you wish through my work email shown below

Sincerely,

Vytautas B. Radzivanas
Transit Engineer
Urban Transport Systems
Western Ausralian Department of Planning and Infrastructure
Perth, Western Australia
[email protected]
 #149822  by CSX Conductor

rainman wrote:I am searching for a document or article about the passenger information systems in railway stations. How should be or what are the standards of passenger information systems?

thanks in advance
Sounds like a terrorist's type of question to me. :P