Railroad Forums 

• abandoned diesels in Cape Vincent NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#849708  by izzy1975

over the weekend a friend of mine came across a couple of abandoned black and yellow diesels in Cape Vincent NY at a marina. Anyone here know what they are or wherethey came from. The pic he sent me via text mesage was hard to see. They look like Plymoth 10 ton switchers but very narrow long and short. Any comments or answers??????
 #849712  by DutchRailnut

If they are at a Marina, then it sure does not seem they are abandoned.
 #849717  by lvrr325

I'm not sure how that exactly helps define anything one way or the other, but... I would think a marina it would be easy to track down who owns it and ask them, if you're looking to see about preserving one.

There's one like that outside of Auburn, or at least there was, same deal, not on the tracks, but next to Finger Lakes' main track, just someone's yard art.
 #856188  by scharnhorst

lvrr325 wrote:I'm not sure how that exactly helps define anything one way or the other, but... I would think a marina it would be easy to track down who owns it and ask them, if you're looking to see about preserving one.

There's one like that outside of Auburn, or at least there was, same deal, not on the tracks, but next to Finger Lakes' main track, just someone's yard art.

no locos in or around the Auburn area in anybodys yard if there was its news to me. I've been liveing in the area for 30 years now. The VFW has a truck that looks like a Steam Loco that they ride around on in parades and such this could be mistaken for a loco from a distance. I do know that for a while it was parked in a side yard by the tracks on the West end of town off of Clark street for a while. I'm not sure where it is keeped now.
 #856349  by lvrr325

It was next to Hidden Valley Drive, visibile from Route 5/Grant Ave.; current Birds-Eye view it looks to be gone and the business it was located by (white or grey block building) is vacant. Bright yellow 8 or 10-ton Plymouth switcher, not much bigger than a pickup truck, and no wider than track gauge. Wouldn't be the first time someone else knew something you didn't...
 #856459  by Marty Feldner

To bring this back to Cape Vincent...

I haven't been to the Marina in maybe 8 years (and that was just to check out the station); there were no locomotives there then. A friend, Brian Wood, lived there for several years. He was back up a couple of weeks ago and checked out the area. Here's what he found:
Marina 5.JPG
Marina 5.JPG (41.73 KiB) Viewed 4131 times
A pair of ex- US Army (USAX) 12 ton Plymouths. More of his shots here:

http://s1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... 0critters/

I also found this online:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1745019

No idea whose they are, where they came from, or how they wound up where they are.

(If you look at the Marina in either Google Earth or Bing Maps, the units are west of the station, next to the large storage building. Brian couldn't tell if they were on rails, or just sitting on the ground.)
 #857185  by tree68

Hmmm. Wonder if they planned on using them to haul boats out of the water...
 #857397  by scharnhorst

lvrr325 wrote:It was next to Hidden Valley Drive, visibile from Route 5/Grant Ave.; current Birds-Eye view it looks to be gone and the business it was located by (white or grey block building) is vacant. Bright yellow 8 or 10-ton Plymouth switcher, not much bigger than a pickup truck, and no wider than track gauge. Wouldn't be the first time someone else knew something you didn't...

Ok I think I know the pace your talking about the old guy that owned the place used to run a Demoltion/selvage company he did have a small yellow unit there. I went there about 17 maybe 18 years ago when he had a few Caboose stoves listed in the penny saver.
 #860294  by The Man

When I was working in Florida Railstar was the owner and they are based out of Cape Vincent, they also have the Erie Canal railroad in Rome, a marina in Cape Vincent as well as the Loop in CO. So I would be willing to bet they are Ron Trotiers. He is a nice guy and I am sure if you are up there he would love to talk trains with you if he's not busy with a project. He also has a few old steam engines in Watertown.

JJ-