• A stop for the LIE along the PJ?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Bensalem SEPTA rider

Should there be a stop between Syosset and Hicksville for the LIE? I can imagine a huge park n ride for that area with beefed up electric service to Penn.

Also, to kill to thread birds with one stone, Is there any way to striaghten curves east of Huntington to make electric service viable?

by NIMBYkiller

Straightening out those curves is nearly impossible. Those hills are pretty big. It'd be too expensive.

As for a stop at the LIE, I've been pushing that for a while. LIRR actually did have a stop there once, Landia. Now with Cerro Wire gone, the property is all open. It may not be for long though. Some developer is trying to make it into a mall.

by bellstbarn

Of course there should be an island platform station and huge parking garage at Landia, with special ramps off the L.I.E. It would get even more cars off the L.I.E.
However, who would pay for it? I claim that the NY State Department of Transportation should fund it with revenue from highway taxes. However, I am also certain that it will not happen.
Two other ideal locations exist for getting people out of their cars:
1) Upton Station, where the L.I.E. between exits 68 and 69 jumps the Main Line.
2) Deer Park, where the D.O.T. showed zero inclination to build ramps directly from the Sagtikos to the L.I.R.R.
The town and village governments want to dictate land use. However, they generally will build lots or garages only if the fields are limited to natives. And no one wants to spend the cash.
  by Head-end View

Not to mention that the Jericho-Syosset community probably wouldn't stand for a big Landia Station with parking decks. On the other hand, if there were enough commuters living in that area on either side of Robbins La, maybe they could "turn the tables" on the NIMBY's.

by One of One-Sixty

Where is Landia located at?
  by Head-end View

The old Landia Station which was phased out years ago, and was just a set of platforms, (no actual building) sat on the east side of the Robbins La. grade crossing just north of the L.I.E. It was right next to the Cerro Wire Co. plant which has now been demolished, the land cleared and as stated by someone above, there is a big legal fight going on between the Town of Oyster bay and a developer who wants to build a big mall there. :-D
  by Frank

Head-end View wrote:The old Landia Station which was phased out years ago, and was just a set of platforms, (no actual building) sat on the east side of the Robbins La. grade crossing just north of the L.I.E. It was right next to the Cerro Wire Co. plant which has now been demolished, the land cleared and as stated by someone above, there is a big legal fight going on between the Town of Oyster bay and a developer who wants to build a big mall there. :-D
How come some people don't want a mall there?

by One of One-Sixty

Actually I do not see why it can not be possible to do both, that is guarnteed revenue due to the shoppers and the employees at the mall, who could all use the Landia station, and thats not counting during the holiday time when everybody is at the mall.

by NIMBYkiller

Most people in that area that post on News12 forum want the train station instead of a mall. There are already too many malls on LI. Walt Whitman is more than close enough to Syosset. Just expand that one.

by Lirr168

I'm with One of One-Sixty on this one. It seems to me that the ideal thing to do would be to build both. This way, the RR gains customers traveling to and from the mall and the mall is provided with a bigger consumer base; I would certainly stop and shop there, it'd be much easier than driving somewhere or taking LI Bus, which we all know sucks.

by NIMBYkiller

I think you should actually try riding LIB before you make such a broad statement. For the most part LIB is alright. No, it's not a world class bus system, but it generally runs close to schedule. As long as you don't try to make connections that are within 5 minutes of each other, you should be fine(Come to think of it, I wouldn't risk 5 mins on the RR either).

by Lirr168

NIMBYkiller wrote:I think you should actually try riding LIB before you make such a broad statement. For the most part LIB is alright. No, it's not a world class bus system, but it generally runs close to schedule. As long as you don't try to make connections that are within 5 minutes of each other, you should be fine(Come to think of it, I wouldn't risk 5 mins on the RR either).
Sorry if I offended anyone there, but for the record, I have traveled on both LI Bus and NYCTA Buses and found the latter to be far more reliable; service is far more frequent and often NYCTA buses move faster despite there being more traffic to deal with. That's just my two cents...

by alcoc420

I understand that the mall is under construction. A Newsday article from about a half year ago said Oyster Bay lost its appeal. About a month ago I wrote a letter to Newsday about nimbyism, saying if Newsday is so opposed to Nimby attitudes why doesn't it sell the Cerro site to the MTA for the PJ rail yard. The a woman from the editorial board called and said Newsday does not own it. I said that I know.... their parent corporation owns it. The woman said that the parent corporation had just sold it. To me this meant the mall is under way. What a waste of potential. Like we have a mall shortage on Long Island. (They printed the rest of the letter.)

by M1 9147

I can definitely see a new Landia station go up there at Robbins Lane. Due to its close proximity to the LIE, a station, and a Park, and Ride would be very good, and give the LIRR a much needed boost. The problem is more trains are needed, and right now due to the lack of a MU storage yard it in my opinion is impossible as well as the third track from Queens, to Divide which will add much needed capacity over there.

by Long Island 7285

i say (as a dream only unless eminate domain plays part.)

build the SOB to conn. and meet it with rail at OB.

but still the LI HTS is very fragile and cannot handel the influx of traffic.