Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Lirr168

I agree 100% that the MU equipment looks like crap most days, complete with spilled liquids, half-eaten food, and in the case of the bathroom cars, god-knows-what on the floor. However, in my experience, the C-3 cars seem to get te royal treatment, especially before the evening rush. Whenever I board a train at Hunterspoint or LIC, the interior of the coaches is spotless and very often the aroma of the disinfectant solution they use is still present in the air.

by Form 19

The diesels out of LIC are typically operated into the yard from points east in the morning and layover all day. This allows them to be properly cleaned and mopped during the layover. There are some exceptions of course but this is normally the case.

The MU's however, rarely sit still in a yard. They run to areas where there is much heavier ridership and service. And are far more widely used than than the diesels. Since they are the backbone of the LIRR's service, they rarely are marshalled in one yard to be thoroughly cleaned. In the case of the M1/3's, they are much older and "used up" than the C3's. Some MU's are capable of a proper cleaning of course, but this would require the train to be laid up all day like the diesels in LIC.
  by RetiredLIRRConductor

The "Clean Train Program" was and is just an attempt by the railroad to lay off more car apperance maintainers (Newspeak for Coach Cleaners). It is a failed attempt by the suits in Jamaica who have no clue how to run a railroad. If they want cleaner trains they must inforce the law, and ticket the slobs who leave their trash behind. This is what they do on the subway. Think about it, when was the last time you got on a subway train and found half filled coffee cups or newspapers?
  by 4 Express

LirrConductor wrote:The "Clean Train Program" was and is just an attempt by the railroad to lay off more car apperance maintainers (Newspeak for Coach Cleaners). It is a failed attempt by the suits in Jamaica who have no clue how to run a railroad. If they want cleaner trains they must inforce the law, and ticket the slobs who leave their trash behind. This is what they do on the subway. Think about it, when was the last time you got on a subway train and found half filled coffee cups or newspapers?
Yesterday. :wink:
  by de402

LirrConductor wrote: This is what they do on the subway. Think about it, when was the last time you got on a subway train and found half filled coffee cups or newspapers?
As an 7 and E train rider I can tell you that the amount of trash varies by line. The 7 always seems to be clean, while the E is a newspaper and broken umbrella graveyard. But since my last stop is Parsons/Archer terminal, the car cleaners clean them up and get them ready for their next run. Why doesn't the LIRR clean their trains in this manner, perhaps there is not enough time before they are sent to west side yard?
Last edited by de402 on Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by pgengler

de402 wrote:Why doesn't the LIRR clean their trains in this manner, perhaps there is not enough time before they are sent to west side year?
From what I've been able to gather (mostly from the Newsday story that's rehosted on the BLE site linked to in the first post) is that the LIRR used to do that, but they laid off a bunch of those people to save money, but that since passengers have complained, they're planning on hiring more soon.

by RetiredLIRRConductor

well THAT explains it! The line I most often ride is the #7 train, and they are almost always spotless! :wink:

by Long Island 7285

Long Island people are very arrogent and some times demand something but refuse to keep up with it.

fine make trains cleaner, maby the LIRR should punish these arrogent persons and ban food and drinks on all trains. i have seen many people not even extend a hand to take there paper or coffie cups and walk to a depository and dump it, what do these scum bags need trash cans behing every seat? yes you do get your occationals that will leave a childish mess behind but is that means for every one else to follow? if the LIRR re hires the right amount of train cleaners and every one supports clean trains and does there part in keeping it clean, then thre will not be trash knee high anymore.

and alos if you see something on the floor or seat, DONT make a major fuss over some bumbs trash, and if its a news paper maby you should just be a better person and dispose of it, and show others that its not going to hurt them to dispose of the paper. i hate to say it, but its a community effort the keep trains clean and new. the community is the commuters who use the trains every day help each other and dont make the trins a mess so crews can go in n just clean and mop and not have to first inspect for suprises on the seats and under them and so on.

that bings us to another issue. why isent a empty donut bag or coffie cup considdered a suspious item, but a fan and his camera is? bags left alone??? i have seen lots of donut bags left under seats, beer cans and need i go more?

by MACTRAXX

Guys: I seem to recall that one of the reasons that trashcans were never placed on the LIRR equipment was the threat of a fire by discarded cigarettes. One thing I recall was the smoking cars were always dirtier than the non-smoking cars. Some were so trashed out they would look like slums on wheels. I also remember them being aired-out in yards by opening all the doors. I hate litter and do my part to pick up but some of LI looks like "Litter Island". MACTRAXX

by Clemuel

How's this for a memory -- The M-1's came with trash cans but they were soon removed because -- you said it -- the threat of fire.

Clem

by Long Island 7285

Clem, Back when the M1s were delivered, smoking was permitted in them thuss these loose nuts on a train would have tossed a light into the trash causing the fire. with smoking prohibited, the risk of fire is lowere, how ever you still have the most dangorus factor.. the public whom has demonstrated time and time again that they have no common sence. so i guess the "M9" will not have recepticals in them?