Railroad Forums 

• A movement on the CNJ in Easton!?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#795396  by carajul

I found this pic online. It says this is on the Bel-Del and passing under the E&N bridge. I don't think that's the case. The Bel-Del never crossed under the E&N. I think this pic was taken of a loco on the old CNJ main in Easton. I'm sure of it. Well 95% anyway. What the heck was this loco doing there... brush removal I hope!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 795&nseq=2
 #795459  by 56-57

Well you're right in that it's the CNJ in Easton, but it IS the Bel-Del now as well, as it's a Geep from the current BR&W Bel-Del subsidiary. On the BR&W website this is shows as part of the current-day Belvidere and Delaware River Railway, owned by the BR&W. I've heard the name Lehigh and Delaware River Railway for this trackage, but haven't found a reference on the BR&W website..

MJK
 #795546  by carajul

What is served on the old CNJ? I noticed on the BR&W map their track diagram now shows a few miles of CNJ thru Easton. They must have an industrial customer. Can't believe they run on that track with it's condition. Someone needs to get a weedwacker.
 #795705  by 56-57

They were serving Alstom in West Easton, I believe that is no longer the case. Also, the 142 made a trek or two to the PA side over that bridge for winter storage or work. I've seen photos of that.

MJK
 #795812  by bigjim4life

56-57 wrote:Also, the 142 made a trek or two to the PA side over that bridge for winter storage or work. I've seen photos of that.
And that's exactly what this is. If you look at the rest of this album that this poster put up, you'll see all sorts of other photos/comments regarding this move - it's very awesome stuff! Would have been a great thing to get some video of...
 #796474  by carajul

Does NS still own the line or did they sell it to BR&W?

Hard to believe that in the 70s mainline freight were rolling over those tracks. In the one pic the guys on standing on wooden planks on the bridge. That was the CNJ passenger sta platform. Last time I was there, the iron lamp posts were still there too.
 #796909  by wis bang

carajul wrote:Does NS still own the line or did they sell it to BR&W?

Hard to believe that in the 70s mainline freight were rolling over those tracks. In the one pic the guys on standing on wooden planks on the bridge. That was the CNJ passenger sta platform. Last time I was there, the iron lamp posts were still there too.
Growing up in Easton, the whole area looked alot different b/4 the CNJ closed and the stations burned down. There used to be a pedestrian walkway & stairway from the 3rd street auto bridge that ran up and back to the passenger station, all cantilivered out over the river. The whole RR complex in Easton was wellbuilt. The BelDel crossed the Delaware river on their own bridge to meet up w/ the old CNJ tracks to cross the Leigh River and head up along the river to the flats in West Easton. I'm sorry I never took pictures as a teen!