Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by doepack

Found this link that displays a simulation of Metra service during an average day. You'll need the latest version of Java to watch it, but it's very interesting...

http://trainlogic.net/sim_metra.htm
  by metraRI

Saw this before, and it is kinda cool. It would be even better if Metra develops something like this in real time when they make-over the web site. VRE has a good grasp on the concept.
  by doepack

Yes they do, but I'd be surprised if Metra actually includes a similar upgrade on the soon-to-be redesigned website. It seems to work better for smaller systems like VRE, but expanding the use of real-time tracking for Metra's busy, sprawling operation will no doubt cost millions...

(btw- I found the link over at the NJT board. They are having WAY too much fun with it over there...)
  by metraRI

Considering Metra already uses GPS on trains for their own tracking purposes, and now both in train and platform annoucements... I don't think it should be that much more of a hassle get this information onto a map in real time. Maybe its more complicated than what it seems.
  by MACTRAXX

Doepack: Good Link-with a decent computer setup it looks rather interesting....MACTRAXX
  by qboy

Very interesting site. It would be nice if every train made its stops like this everyday, and everytime to perfection.