Railroad Forums 

• A fresh start

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#141691  by Cirus

Well, I'm 36 years old and I've been doing electrical work all my life. I work for my self which is great sometimes but with the economy the way it has been I'm thinking about calling it quits. I'm tired of going weeks, sometimes months without any income and any money I save up when I'm busy quickly runs out when the work plays out. My question is, what jobs should I apply for? I hold a state master electrician license. Will this help me out any as far as railroad jobs. I noticed on the UP website that there are several track laborer jobs available in Texas but thats sounds about like construction work as far as job security. I've got a wife and two kids and I've reached a point in my life where I'm thinking about retirement someday and construction works not gonna cut it. Any advice?

#141702  by noviholt

I believe UP is still hiring diesel electricians in the Houston area. They have one apprentice position and one electrician position the last time I checked. They won't be accepting applications after June 30. There are also signal maintainer positions available.

#141872  by rail

I would say the best bet is to go into train service right now. The only thing is you will get screwed a little bit becuase you are 36 you will have to work untill you are 66 to get full pension from the Railroad Retirement. Good luck!

#141912  by Chris_S68

I have to think that your background would be very helpful in getting hired for a related craft such as noviholt suggested. With your credentials, I couldn't see train service, unless of course that's what you wanted to do. Track laborer is more along the lines of maintaining the actual track, roadbed, etc. rather than electrical maintenance.

#144162  by Cirus

I'm leaning towards diesel electrician but which do I apply for? Apprentice, journeyman, or diesel electrician? I know the pay is hourly but about how much?

#144744  by Guest

I just talked to my buddy that is a Roadway Equipment Repairer on the NS. He says the basic pay for his job is about $48K a year, the senior guys are in the upper $60Ks. He says you must have a journeyman's card or the equivalent experience. His suggestion is to call the union that represents the craft you want to join, they should be able to answer your questions and point you in the right direction.

-r