Railroad Forums 

• A Career Change

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#124604  by thinkingaboutit

I need your guys help to decide what to do? I'm a 30 year old guy who really hates his job? I've always thought about being a train conductor, in fact when I got out of high school thats what I wanted to do but my father was a track worker for the railroad and really pushed me to go to college.

My first question I guess would be how many hours can you except to log weekly for the first year? Secondly do you guys think that I'm to old to start now? (A lot of the guys I know started working soon after high school) Finally I live in the coalfileds of KY so I would transporting coal as opposed to freight and Im worried if the coal boom goes south so will my job.
 #124612  by UPRR engineer

thinkingaboutit wrote:
My first question I guess would be how many hours can you except to log weekly for the first year? Secondly do you guys think that I'm to old to start now? Im worried if the coal boom goes south so will my job.

Most guys i work with, on the locals that is, work anywhere from 8 to 12hrs+, five days a week. Im just guessing that the coal jobs in KY are mostly locals. Its hard to say how much money you could make sence most jobs pay by the mile, and if you were able to get a second trip on some days that would be another basic days pay. I dont think your too old, being 30 is just fine.

#124678  by n2qmt

thinkingaboutit: I don't think 30 is to old to start. In fact, I recently have had a few coworkers ranging in age from 32-45 begin new careers in the railroad. I, myself am 36 and I start with CSX in June (though not in train service, rather dispatch). Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

UPRR engineer: You in Cheyenne by chance?

John

#124776  by PChap

30 certainly isn't too old. If you hire out now you'll be able to retire right at 60 according to the current system. I recently hired on with CSX and of the 12 others in my training class I was the 2nd youngest at 28, youngest was 27, 2 were 47, 2 were 39.

Don't know about other lines, but where I'm at with CSX, it's 6 days a week. I had a "light week" this past week, only 50 hours, this last month I averaged 59 a week, hitting 62 hours a week twice. But I'm not complaining, it's a fun job for me.

Something else too. If you decide you want to do this, don't let anyone working for the railroad now discourage you. Many of the guys I work with complain about their job all the time, but they make a ton of money (pre 85'ers mostly). Considering the employment turmoil I went through in the past year before hiring out, I feel like I've won the lottery, not hired out on a new job.

#124795  by sammy

I got the call two days ago for the conductor training school for CSX. I have to be in Jacksonville Fl. May 23rd. I am 29 and have been at my present job for 7 years. I had to make the call, and Im going for it. It scares the heck out of me, but its something ive always wanted to do. I have a wife and two kids, so things are going to be hard for a wile. I like my job, but I was stuck behind alot of thirty-five to fourty year olds so my promotion opertunitys wernt so great. Anyway, you just have to make up your mind and do it. If you do, good luck!

#124813  by chrisjz

Sammy,

I just wanted to say that I am in the same situation as yourself. I'm 28 with a wife and 3 little kids. I applied at NS for a position as a conductor and was conditionally hired. Right now I'm just waiting for the background check to be finished so I can get the call for class in McDonough, GA.

This has also been something I have always wanted to do and I'm just happy my wife supports me. I too have been employed at my current job as a two-way radio technician for 7 years but just "went for it" as you did as well. When it comes to something you want to really do, you should definitely go for it.

I'm scared myself because I'm not sure what to expect but I'm also excited at the fact that I may get to do something new, exciting and of coarse, something I really want to do! Good luck to you in class and hopefully I will hear something in the next few weeks too...

#124820  by sammy

I thought I would have at least two months to get prepared. they called on the 23rd and bam! class in two weeks. Told my boss today, he took it a little to well if you know what I mean. But the electric co.op I work for will hire you back within six months if you change your mind, so I got a break there. Put the for sell sign in the yard yesterday, and recived four calls today! O yea, I have to move to be within the thirty mile limit of the terminal. So if I dont pass the class I wount have a home to come home to. But if I dont sell it, I cant affored the house payment for my family, and the rent for me in Mobile. Anyway best of luck to you Chisjs. Keep us informed.

#124823  by LCJ

Good luck, Sammy. I've been following your adventure for quite a while. Mobile's a very nice place! I spent some time there and enjoyed it a lot.

Keep us informed on your progress.

#129043  by Dorpmuller

chrisjz wrote:
This has also been something I have always wanted to do and I'm just happy my wife supports me. I too have been employed at my current job as a two-way radio technician for 7 years but just "went for it" as you did as well. When it comes to something you want to really do, you should definitely go for it.
Oh boy! I was a two way tech-got tired of working for psychopaths. Never, never, never again!!

Thought about the RR but think I'll stay a fan for now.

Rich

#129062  by route_rock

Buddy of mine went to BNSF's latest hiring seminar in Galesburg Illinois. He sat next to the entire second shift to the County jail! Also had a G town cop and a few other law enforcement types. Oldest guy in the hiring class was in his early 50's. SO go for it! My grandfather always put it best " I was looking when I found this job!" if it isnt for you at least you can tell your grand kids " I was a railroader!" Good luck guys see you on the high iron.

#130025  by chrisjz

Hi guys,

Just an update. I got the call on Wednesday to go to McDonough to begin training. It sounds like this is going to be interesting, I'm really excited but nervous as well...

#130066  by steam371

Too Old? I started a year ago on the railroad and I'm 34 feeling 30! Great job. Never to old to do anything, just to young to do anything.
 #130074  by bwparker1

Good luck to all of you venturing into the craft.

I myself have hopes of working in management someday, after completing an MBA in Supply Chain Management for the next two years here at Penn State.

Brooks