Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by TheGortex

According to the webiste I got my coach info from, it listed 7900, and 7901 as retired club cars from the St. Louis Car Co. Some further research showed that at least 7900 was from the C&NW, so could someone tell me where I could find pics of these two coaches in Metra paint? Could someone also tell me when they were retired, and which route they were run on?

by doepack

Both 7900 and 7901 are ex-CNW club cars, and I believe were painted in the same RTA tan-and-brown scheme that cars 553 and 555 received. Unsure of the retirement dates, but legend has it one of these were assigned to a rush hour NW line train running to/from Richmond (via the McHenry branch, in the years before the line was truncated to the current McHenry terminal), although I've not been able to find visual verification of that...

by Tadman

One of the single-level lounges, painted in white/brown, still is used on a north-line train that leaves CPT around 5pm.

by c604.

One was assigned to train 641 (at the time) which departed downtown at 5:20PM (the same train ran inbound as train 608). It ran on that train until at least 1998. A lot of the St. Louis and older six window Pullmans were taken out of service later that year so I suspect the club car was included in that group of retired cars.

by CNW5022-A519

NW Train Number 608 also went up to Winnetka, it would dead head up to the Pine Street crossovers wait for inbound 320 then, switch over, the switches were hand thrown so the train would pull up almost to elm street then back up pick up condutors that threw the switches, then come into down town Winnetka station the club car in the middle, the train was 324, and was scheduled to leave Winnetka at 0820 and get down to Chicago at 0857.

by TheGortex

Tadman wrote:One of the single-level lounges, painted in white/brown, still is used on a north-line train that leaves CPT around 5pm.
Yeah, I live on the UP North Line, so I see that one a lot. I think it's 553.

by CNW5022-A519

Hello Gortex, I see the same train when I work out, it is 553, it was taken out of service for about a week but is back

by TheGortex

What are the exact times it runs? I've seen it really early in the morning, and during the evening, but I don't know exact times.

by CNW5022-A519

In bound at 0722 out bound at 510 PM.

by doepack

TheGortex wrote:What are the exact times it runs? I've seen it really early in the morning, and during the evening, but I don't know exact times.
Club car 553 is normally assigned to UP/N rush hour trains 322 and 335, both of which operate from/to Kenosha. Check the schedule, and plan accordingly...