Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by UpperHarlemLine4ever

When the 63rd Street Tunnel was built, a lower level was installed for the LIRR. Now the Grand Central Connection is to be built. Was any tunneling done in Queens or Manhattan for the railroad tracks beyond the 63rd Street Tunnel itself. The MTA recently completed and the NYCTA Queens line is now connected to the 63rd St. Line. When this construction was done, were any trackways put in for the LIRR to connect to the tunnel and in Manhattan under the subway are the trackways already in place for the rail tracks for the LIRR? Does anyone out there have an answer? I know the connection to the Park Avenue tunnel must be built but do the trackways already exist for the LIRR under the subway's tracks?

by DutchRailnut

The tracks won't connect in park Aveneu tunnel, they will go under/across the MNCR tracks and loop to left to the new terminal under Madison Aveneu, 50 some feet under current lower level of MNCR's Madison Aveneu yard.

by jlr3266

The lower level was extended bout 250 feet during the NYCT 63rd St Connector Project to keep the LIRR portal clear of the new T1/T2 track tunnel curving off of the upper level to connet to the Queens Blvd IND Line. This LIRR bulkhead was exposed during the recent open-cut excavation contract and reopened for the Roadheader deomonstration contract currently underway.

by jpsigchi

just curious, how big is the Madison Avenue yard and can u see it from the station?

by DutchRailnut

The area the LIRR is getting is 5 tracks wide, the yard tracks are not visible without going in non public spaces.

by IslesFan

DutchRailnut wrote:The area the LIRR is getting is 5 tracks wide, the yard tracks are not visible without going in non public spaces.
Is it my imagination or is operation to GCT going to be similar to Flatbush Avenue when it opens?

by mkm4

IslesFan wrote: Is it my imagination or is operation to GCT going to be similar to Flatbush Avenue when it opens?
Expect eight tracks total, four over four. More Details