Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Chicagopcclcars

In an article dated Thursday, May 27, it was disclosed that the prototype AC5000s have been removed from service. Looks like the Green line was too rough on them, LOL . My sources say they were removed last week.
The new CTA rail cars undergoing testing have been removed from service temporarily due to a potential problem with the brakes, transit officials said Thursday.

A component in the braking system was found to be affected by vibrations, which over time could cause a loss of braking friction, CTA officials said.

There have been no cases of brake failure, they added.

Bombardier Transit Corp., which manufactured the 10 prototype trains the CTA has been testing, is working on changes that will improve braking, officials said.

The test trains had been carrying passengers on the Green and Red Lines
CTA officials said they expected the rail cars to resume service on the Green Line in a few weeks.

-- Jon Hilkevitch

David
  by Fan Railer

Well, not completely unexpected. Prototypes always have to have kinks worked out...
  by JamesT4

Moderators Note: Since there were two topics about the removal of the 5000 series cars the two topics had been merged.

As a railfan:
I was hoping to ride the new cars next week, but that wont be happening, but at least the problems that are developing on the prototypes now will be improved when the rest of the cars come into service in the next few years.
  by Tadman

They're back! I saw the wrapped 5000-series on an Ashland/63rd train today around 1p when I went on a snack run to 7-11. This was at the corner on Wabash/Lake.
  by MetraBNSF

Saw an 8 car 5000 series set going west on the Forest Park branch of the Blue Line last Friday. IMO, they look a lot like the 3400 series cars from the outside.
  by Tadman

Hmmm, new high-tech EMU's with spotty brakes. Never heard that story here in Chicago...
  by doepack

MetraBNSF wrote:Saw an 8 car 5000 series set going west on the Forest Park branch of the Blue Line last Friday. IMO, they look a lot like the 3400 series cars from the outside.
True. If not for the LED destination signs and run number boards, the exteriors are otherwise identical. There are subtle, minor differences to the window arrangements as compared to the 3200's, but it's not immediately discernible from a distance...
Tadman wrote:Hmmm, new high-tech EMU's with spotty brakes. Never heard that story here in Chicago...
Heh. The curse of the old St. Louis Car Co. strikes again... :-)