• 4022/4023

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by jerryinva

So, I was on 4022 this morning, and I noticed a few things...

1) Large numbers on the exterior upper portion of the body, with the car #.
2) Seemed brighter inside.
3) Large numbers on the inside top of the doors, indicating the door #.
4) New carpet, even on the pedestal where the seats face back to back, and it looked like new duct work along the floors.

Were these cars remodeled/rehabbed for some reason?

I have seen one other set of cars with the large numbers on exterior... they were a 3000 series pair.
  by WMATAGMOAGH

According to SchuminWeb, theres a Rohr set with the same treatment.
  by jerryinva

Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing a 1000 series decked out like that... I wonder why?
  by SchuminWeb

Yeah, the Rohr set is 1132-3:

http://www.schuminweb.com/schumin-web/j ... php?id=957

As for the 4000 set, the carpet is not unique to that set. I think most if not all of the 4000's have CAF carpet on them now in the manner that you have described. I haven't seen a 4000 with orange carpet for at least six months. I can't speak for the new ductwork, though. I've been on there, and didn't notice any difference, but also didn't know to look.

I wonder what the lighting change is testing. I wonder if it's brightness, color (it's a lot whiter light), or energy efficiency. Either way, when you're on board, it makes the stations look orange-ish.

Otherwise, I'm guessing WMATA is experimenting on various features with their older cars because if the modifications turn out to be a disaster, they will be sending them out for rehab or retirement in relatively short order, compared to an Alstom, a CAF, or a Breda rehab which would have around 15-20 years before a planned major out-of-service period.
  by Sand Box John

FYI; The panel that has the "The following are strictly prohibited . . . "sign is where the window use to be that displayed the inside strip map on the old destination roll signs.
  by HokieNav

jerryinva wrote:I have seen one other set of cars with the large numbers on exterior... they were a 3000 series pair.
The same big numbers are on the outside of the 6000 series car that has the experimental "no carpet" flooring as well, so they're probably on all the "special" test cars for the various interior mods.
  by SchuminWeb

6104-5 has the big numbers? Or has Metro intro'd an additional set without carpet? I don't remember seeing those with the big numbers on 6104-5 when I've run into them.

BTW, what line is that set currently on?
  by HokieNav

SchuminWeb wrote:6104-5 has the big numbers? Or has Metro intro'd an additional set without carpet? I don't remember seeing those with the big numbers on 6104-5 when I've run into them.

BTW, what line is that set currently on?
Yep, that's the set - I saw it on my way home yesterday on the Green line. I noticed the big numbers on it the first time maybe a week or two ago, they're definitely a new addition.
  by SchuminWeb

Maybe the big numbers are something they're testing, too, since I recall that the 7000-series conceptual drawings that the Washington Post ran had the big numbers near the roof.
  by HokieNav

That's a good point.

The Metro gods must read this board, because standing on the platform in at Navy Yard for my trip this afternoon, and what should stop in front of me? 6104, complete with big numbers. Interestingly enough, 6105 was "lights out, doors locked" out of service next door - everything seemed to be assembled in the car with nothing out of place, not sure why it's shut down.
  by Sand Box John

"HokieNav"That's a good point.
. . . Interestingly enough, 6105 was "lights out, doors locked" out of service next door - everything seemed to be assembled in the car with nothing out of place, not sure why it's shut down.

Likely the air conditioning on the car was not functioning.
  by realtype

Sand Box John wrote:"HokieNav"That's a good point.
. . . Interestingly enough, 6105 was "lights out, doors locked" out of service next door - everything seemed to be assembled in the car with nothing out of place, not sure why it's shut down.

Likely the air conditioning on the car was not functioning.
The AC on a 6000-series car broken already!? ! Unbelievable.
  by Sand Box John

"realtype"
The AC on a 6000-series car broken already!? ! Unbelievable.

Could be something as simple as a triped circuit breaker in a location that is not easily accessible. Mind you the 6k cars are not exactly the greatest example of quality rapid transit car manufacturing.
  by Mirai Zikasu

I saw 4022/4023 about two months ago while on my way to catch a train to go see my parents and actually rode 4023 on that trip. I could tell that something was wrong with the cars with the big numbers and the unusually bright lights in the cars. The different lighting gave off the appearance that the wall paneling was different, but whether the paneling was indeed different or just looked so from the lighting. (Since no one has said anything about seeing different paneling, I'm inclined to think that it was a simple lighting effect.) Either way, I thought it made the old style Metro interiors look especially drab with the atmosphere of an old, high school classroom (one of the most miserable environments in my opinion). If WMATA is looking to redo lighting in the interiors of its Metrorail cars, I hope that they don't go with something nearly as horrid as what they tested out in those cars.
  by SchuminWeb

Well, I'd say that the new lighting on the old-style cars, with their cream-colored interiors and orange color patterns, didn't look the best due to the colors. Someone should try the new lighting on a few of the 5000's, whose lighting is already starting to turn yellowish, and see how it looks on a set with the new color scheme.