• 34 Years Ago Today Saturday 03 27 1976

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Sand Box John

WMATA opens the first segment of the metrorail system 4.2 miles Rhode Island Ave to Farragut North.

I was there along with thousands of others.

Before the crowds arrived.

Mayor Walter Washington

Presentation of the Colors.

The ceremony begins.

The ceremony

Ribbon cutting
WMATA Photo

First train out

Opening day program
WMATA Photo

Line for opening day rides
WMATA Photo

Line for opening day rides
WMATA Photo

All ages there opening day
WMATA Photo
  by SchuminWeb

That's so strange seeing the Rohr cars all new and shiny, especially considering that (A) so much discussion has been about the Rohr cars' safety flaws, and (B) that their days are now numbered.
  by Robert Paniagua

And not to mention, like 34 years ago, today is a Saturday, just like back then. Nice photos taken too. Our red line in Boston, however was 2/3rds complete, Alewife didn't open till 3/30/85 while Braintree didn't open till 3/22/80.

And my favourite station in WMATA, Shady Grove, it didn''t debut till 12 15 1984. Also, my WMATA Debut came in mid 1986 when I moved from Puerto Rico to Germantown Maryland, and sure enough, my first station was, Shady Grove.
  by SchuminWeb

Robert, why is Shady Grove your favorite station?

Also, it's worth noting that Metro had a Red Line derailment last year on its birthday. This birthday, from what I can tell, was uneventful. Hopefully that will be a sign of better things to come...
  by Robert Paniagua

Since it's settings, and the way it's set up to the CSX Met Sub, it's the top station in my list, and has great bus connections to the nighborhoods I lived
  by JackRussell

I remember when I first moved to the DC area in 1985 - I came across the Orange Line going out I-66, and couldn't understand why I didn't see any trains on it. At the time, I didn't know at the time that it hadn't actually opened yet :-).

A few months later on a Sunday afternoon we took Metro downtown, and for some reason I looked back to see what time the last train back would be. I was stunned to see that they closed at something like 5PM, and our only good option was to get back on the train and go home. In Boston where I came from it was open fairly late 7 days a week, and the early Sunday closing made DC seem like a hick town of some sort.
  by Sand Box John

"HokieNav"
Awesome pictures, John!

My picture are not up to the quality of the WMATA photos, thanks anyway.

Also, congrats on a mention in DCist:
http://dcist.com/2010/03/anyone_have_gi ... mid-30.php

Have know idea who provided the linked. Might look through my slides again and see if there are some others.

"JackRussell"I remember when I first moved to the DC area in 1985 - I came across the Orange Line going out I-66, and couldn't understand why I didn't see any trains on it. At the time, I didn't know at the time that it hadn't actually opened yet.

A few months later on a Sunday afternoon we took Metro downtown, and for some reason I looked back to see what time the last train back would be. I was stunned to see that they closed at something like 5PM, and our only good option was to get back on the train and go home. In Boston where I came from it was open fairly late 7 days a week, and the early Sunday closing made DC seem like a hick town of some sort.

During the early years metrorail was open only on weekdays 6:00 AM - 8:00 PM. It wasn’t until 09 25 1978 the system extended the hours to midnight.
Saturday service begins 8:00 AM - midnight 09 30 1978.
Sunday service begins 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM 09 02 1979. Earlier Sunday service 8:00 AM begins 04 26 1992.
Sometime in the late 1990s Sunday service is extended to midnight.
Friday and Saturday to 1:00 AM begins 11 5 1999, 2:00 AM on 07 01 2000.
Weekend service begins at 7:00 AM on 06 29 2003.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Happy Birthday,Metro! I recall seeing the TV news report and a newspaper article on Metro's Red Line debut.
I recall reading that the wait to take the ten or so minute train ride was hours long. Good pictures,John! MACTRAXX