• 3-Day Senior Sale

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by AC4619

Amtrak, having recently reduced its senior discount, has now re-increased it to 20%, for a 3-day sale, per an email I received earlier today (FYI to those who wanted to book anything). This has been a trend I've noted across the board over the last 5-6 months: less discounts, and "everyday low fares", but more of these flash sales which temporarily drop prices below even the lowest rung of what previous discounts have been. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it's a smart strategy that will enhance revenue, or a nickel and dime tactic that is alienating long-time and loyal customers? I feel like it's the latter, because you get emotional purchases "oh look what a good deal", but less people who are rational purchasers: "I'm taking the train at price X for the following benefits...". Thoughts?

// AC
  by mtuandrew

Oh good, I always wanted to buy a senior for three days :wink:

Good marketing technique, as long as they can get the word out through AARP, TV and print ads, and other places frequented by the 60+ set. I hope they do similar sales for students and families in the future.
  by johndmuller

Count me as very against.

I don't want to spend all my time jumping through hoops getting promo codes, looking for just the right price among ever more challenging discount schemes. Nor do I want to feel like I was ripped of when the person sitting next to me somewhere only paid half or less than I did. Are we trying to breed a race of people optimized for spending all day hanging around web sited trying to get the best deal?

I can't see the prospects as any brighter for the companies selling stuff with these gimmicks either. They have to deal with the work and expense of changing their pricing system back and forth; then there is the uncertainty waiting to see if it "worked" or not - and what does "worked" mean; if they make more money, perhaps their customers are now feeling abused; or if too many people snap up this deal, then some of the customers are happier, but now the company is losing money; what's a win? If there is competition, then bigger and better deals are required with more and more risk and expense. Not sure what they get out of participating in this rat race.

Some discounting is perfectly reasonable. like for buying early, or buying in quantity, but when greed colors the pricing algorithms, when inventory is withheld to simulate shortage, when whatever excessive marketing zeal prevails, count me out.
  by Gilbert B Norman

From Jean Bonnet Tavern, Bedford PA--

First, I normally stay at major brands, but chose to stay here because they are reputed to have the best restaurant in the area, so I could drink what I want without factoring having to drive (I only had two glasses).

These sales promotions are just the way stuff is marketed nowadays. Towards that end, a few years ago, J C Penner decided to do away with endless "70% off Sales, coupons, and the assorted fol-de-rol. They were stating "this is our price...period; take it or leave it".

You'd guess the advertising outlets were less than happy, but so we're the customers, some I know said "I'm not shopping there until I can have my coupons and they start having Sales again".

Well, those disaffected customers won. Amtrak is just taking a page out of that playbook.
  by David Benton

"A.C" sums it up in his last paragraph. They do not want to provide discounts for people who are going to ride anyway, they are after discretionary travel. The 3 day part is to make these discretionary lookers buy straight away , as soon as they click away from the website offer, there is 80 -90% chance they won't be back . The cynical side of me says they also know many of these impulse buyers will book their bargain ticket, then find later they can't or don't want to travel on the date they booked. Then the ticket goes in the bin, or they pay penalties to change it . The Airline etc then makes more out of the penalties than the original discount. All of this would be averaged out and used to figure out the discount they can offer.