Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by trainspot

I've found that 3 cars are currently at the Railway Museum of Greater Cincinnati in Covington, KY.
1) 2003 "South Shore"
2) 2064 "Apaquogue" (now FEC Lake Okeechobe)
3) 2066 "Mattituck" (now NH Race Point)
I have a link to their website, but it is fairly new, so no photos or roster yet.

by Long Island 7285

sounds like good news

by Dave Keller

Must have been restored to their original roads by the Railway Museum you mention.

The Apaquogue was originally the FEC's "Lake Okeechobee" and the Mattituck was originally the NH's "Race Point."

I have a shot in my new book of the "Lake Okeechobee" in her original lettering and fluted, stainless steel sides at the station platform at Montauk shortly after arrival.

Dave Keller
  by trainspot

Yes, Dave except the 2003 is still mostly in LIRR paint. It will be restored to PRR paint eventually. The Lake Okeechobe has FEC lettering & name again, and I didn't see photos of the Mattituck, but heard it was returned to NH livery & name

by Retroboy

are there any books out about the blue ribbon fleet and the lightweight parlor cars of the 60's and 70's?.

by LIengineerBob

There was an old issue of the PRR Historical Society "Keystone" magazine that was dedicated to those cars. Excellent photos and write up. You might wantot try and contact them and seeif it is still avaialble as a back issue. I don't have the issue handy to give you the date of it (it's packed away), maybe someone else can add that info??

by Dave Keller

Here's what's out there:

The Keystone: Autumn, 1995 "The Route of the Weekend Chief" by my friend Mike Boland.

TRAINS Magazine: May, 1968 "Parlor Car East" by H. Stafford Bryant, Jr.

Passenger Train Journal: March, 1987 "Where 'Parlor' Remains the Parlance" by William E. Thoms

The first is outstanding: Great fact content, great history and equally great photos!!!! (Lots of photos!!)

The second is good.

The third is OK, and deals only with the newer "Sunrise Fleet" however there are some photos of heavyweights included as part of the article.

Dave Keller

by jayrmli

Last I checked, the issue of the Keystone was available. However, around their convention this past May, they suspended sales of the Keystone and held an auction at the convention. Don't know if it is still available at this time.

If you can get a copy, I recommend it. It's probably the best resource on the parlor cars ever written.

Jay

by Retroboy

thank you all, i just placed a order for that keystone Magazine

by Dave Keller

Retroboy:

Who did you contact and how? Mailing address?

Also, what was the cost?

I have a photocopy of the article but would like the entire magazine for my library.

Dave Keller

by Retroboy

While on the subject, I’ve noticed that the railroad had a few sleepers. Could someone really buy a ticket for a sleeper? Or were they converted? I didn’t think the ride out was that long.

by Dave Keller

Thanks for the website!

As for the sleepers, they WERE used, but not for sleeping :wink: Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more, say no more!

On various occasions I saw trainmen take a Montauk/Hamptons "pick-up" into the sleeper.

When there were no sleepers, they used a compartment, or even a darkened dead-head coach!

One guy did that and then met his wife and kids at Bridgehampton!!! I'll never forget the kids hollering "daddy, daddy" with great joy and his wife was a cutie, besides. The "pick-up" was fat and sweaty!

There's a nice picture to burn your mind's eye!

Dave Keller