• 3-17 Trip Report - Far Rockaway Branch

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by F40

Same conditions as my previous post.

4:17p Jamaica to Far Rockaway:

1. Platform renovation at Rosedale?

2. "TEST ASC" was on the front end of Valley Stream and Far Rockaway. What is the purpose of this sign?

3. What kind of horn is used on the M7's?

4. Low level platform at Hewlett. Is it still used for passengers?

5. A set of M1's and M3's passed Inwood inbound around 4:50p. A dead move to supply more rush hour trains or some other purpose?

6. 2 bumper block tracks with 3rd rail are after Inwood. Purpose?

7. "END OF BLOCK" sign around this area. What does this sign mean?

8. Track diverges before Far Rockaway without 3rd rail. Details?

9. The letters "STS" is arranged vertically in a sign. What does this stand for? Also I believe I saw one knocked down, lying on the ground beside the tracks around this area [Far Rockaway].

10. Noticed that smooth stops on the M7's had little 'backward after-effects.' Is this normal when braking? What kind of brakes are used on the M7's?

11. What is the significance of the 'white light' from the string of 4 lights found on the outside of an M7?

12. Can someone direct me to the 'LIRR intranet'?

Many thanks for your help.

by M1 9147

3: Leslie S2
2: Automatic Speed Control Test Box location Testing the ASC for trains originating at Valley
4: No
5: End of the line

by Clem

1 - Rosedale is being rebuilt by the Railroad.
2 - Automatic Speed Control test loops

6 - Layup tracks in Far Rockaway Yard
7 - End of main track, rules in effect differ.
8 - Far Rockaway Team (old freight) track used for track cars/materials.
9 - Measured sections for testing speedometers

Clem

by F40

Neil Feldman wrote: 5: End of the line
End of the line? By inbound I meant towards Jamaica. This train wasn't part of the passenger schedules.

by BobLI

There are a few trains that deadhead to Far Rockaway in the AM to make up the westbound schedule and also in the evening a few that deadhead leaving Far Rockaway after the east bound trip.

by Long Island 7285

Do they blow real loud and long 14Ls through Cendehurst, you all know they want to abolish the horn's in there NIMBYhood. :-D

by BobLI

Depends on the engineer. Some sound a long sequence --0-and some just a quick one.
I doubt they will ban horns, too expensive to upgrade all the crossings and they cant close them. Village has no money for that upgrade.

by M1 9147

Understanding the area the trains go through as shown to me by 7285 today. Very rich area like the area of Garden City unfortunately to sound off those complaints. It is totally understandable the quality of life these people want to go through.

by Long Island 7285

I can sware I had a post here and it was deleted for some reason, that I'm un aware of.

But on the side not, The area in question is infested with a type of people that will moan and grone untill they get what they want, and think because who they are thay are better then the rest of us and deserve not to hear the trains at all.

Thats is all im saying to keep in rated "G". I was going to post something rated "R" but I don't want to catch hell for it.
  by Ocala Mike

Well put, 7285. I say blow the horns long and loud through the "Five Towns" area. Back in the day, an engineer could be really colorful with steam whistles and diesel horns, almost making them "talk."

by Long Island 7285

Thank's Mike.

I did not want to get offenceive in the prevoius post, But I would have loved to hear the musical tunes of a diesel horn and a steam whistel together. :-D