Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by freightguy

As of late the LIRR is running cable and overhead wire East of Ronkonkoma during the week. I heard from a source that this is indeed to signal the railroad to at least Yaphank. This would install rule 261 territory East of Ronkonkoma up to Yaphank. Can anybody confirm this? Also would it be electrified? New poles and signal boxes have went up over the past couple of months.

by Noel Weaver

I can't believe that they would spend money to fully signal the line beyond
Ronkonkoma.
What is taking place could be a telephone line being buried along the railroad. This has taken place along many lines all over the country and the railroad gets a nice piece of change for access to the property.
It would make much more sense to fully signal the Montauk Branch which
has quite heavy passenger traffic at least as far as Speonk.
East of Ronkonkoma, the whole operation except on a Friday afternoon in
the summer season can be operated by one set of equipment, why would
they need signals?
Noel Weaver

by SK2MY

I could find out for sure, but I highly doubt if that was the case. If they wanted to run 261 on the Mainline, I would imagine that it would be up to Riverhead, not just one block east of KO.

by freightguy

Noel,

I thought the same thing, but the cable and signaling is identical to that is being strung up and buried along the Montauk out East to SK. It also being trenched by LIRR crews. If such was the case with a telephone company(i.e. contractor) they would perform the work with LIRR flagman, like the work recently completed over in Bethpage along the mainline. The Greenport Scoot is a senior job with only a conductor and engineer. It only goes up for bid on the weekends, not too many people get to hit that job.

by Nasadowsk

Might as well signal it now. It'll be desperately need 20 years from now.

Heck, there's more than enough demand for more service today. people have been screaming for it for years, but the LIRR's been dragging its feet. Why do you think a whole new agency to take over Suffolk's rail trackage has been preposed and gaining momentum...

Anyone who thinks nobody lives out there should drive around between 25 and the Sunrise out near Wading river, etc on a weekday at rush hour...

by Long Island 7285

I agree, the east end had really devloped in the last 15 years and the need for better rail is needed,

the need for the eastport - mannor line is also much needed, as the line can alow for suffolk riders to go between greenport and montauk with out a change at jamaica, heck if dont right it can alow for the trains to go from jamaica via the montauk branch to eastport then north to greenport.

now thats talking service!!

and will put a new meaning to the line in the jingle
"road n' rail in suffolk every bus a peach"

i think we really need a properly done up MSTS lirr with all the branches installed in as it would appear today status, then run trains and see how the option would benifit the system.

by mainline

It also looks like they're signalling the Montauk Branch east of PD. Two signal Bridges have been installed at SK. Pretty large bridges. I doubt they would install a large bridge for a Block limit station.

by SK2MY

They are making PD to SK 261 manual block. What you see at PD are new color light interlocking signals. They are adding somewhere in the area of 43 new signals between PD and SK.

by Long Island 7285

261 manual block?

does this mean orders and Acards still need to be given?

i thought 261 was automatic block signaling.

by de402

why the hell stop at Yapank? should go at least to LD, the RR has only a handful of crossings bewteen KO and LD and the track is straight as an arrow. Getting some decent speed there would make travel times attractive.. oh wait why would you want to do that?

BTW

how many passengers board at YP? like 5 a year.. I've never seen more than 3 people get on or off there and I've ridden on all the trains in the GY schedule. Maybe the only have enough wire to get them that far..

by SK2MY

LI 7285 wrote:
261 manual block?

does this mean orders and Acards still need to be given?

i thought 261 was automatic block signaling.

A cards are only used in 251 territory. I heard from a "fairly" reliable source that new interlocking would be made along the way thereby removing the need for train orders for meets. Currently, the following territories are 261, manual block:

MONTAUK BRANCH--------Y TO PD
OYSTER BAY BRANCH-----LOCUST TO OYSTER BAY
FAR ROCKAWAY-----------VALLEY TO FAR ROCKAWAY (EAST ON 1)
FAR ROCKAWAY TO VALLEY (WEST ON 2)

LONG BEACH---------------VALLEY TO LEAD (EAST ON 1)
LEAD TO VALLEY (WEST ON 2)

WEST HEMPSTEAD---------VALLEY TO WEST HEMPSTEAD

by Frank

Long Island 7285 wrote:I agree, the east end had really devloped in the last 15 years and the need for better rail is needed,

the need for the eastport - mannor line is also much needed, as the line can alow for suffolk riders to go between greenport and montauk with out a change at jamaica, heck if dont right it can alow for the trains to go from jamaica via the montauk branch to eastport then north to greenport.

now thats talking service!!

and will put a new meaning to the line in the jingle
"road n' rail in suffolk every bus a peach"

i think we really need a properly done up MSTS lirr with all the branches installed in as it would appear today status, then run trains and see how the option would benifit the system.
They really should double track and electrify the Greenport line to Riverhead.

by NIMBYkiller

"They really should double track and electrify the Greenport line to Riverhead."

Agreed. And they definately should re-open the Manorville-Eastport. It'd allow for shuttles from Ronkonkoma to Montauk, as well as regular service to Montauk via the Ronkonkoma.

by Long Island 7285

Nimby,

you forgot direct scoot service from Greenport-Montauk driect one train. no need to go to KO or Jamaica.

by NIMBYkiller

North-South fork transit would be better served by ferries. You forget just how far out Manorville really is for the majority of the towns on the forks.