Railroad Forums 

• 2024 Season Hudson River Rail Excursions - Hickory Creek and Tavern Lounge

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1639732  by Jeff Smith

Dates announced: https://www.hudsonriverrail.com/
50+ Daytrips and Overnight Journeys in 2024!

The New York Central Railroad unveiled a brand new 20th Century Limited in Grand Central Terminal. Christened into service by General Dwight D. Eisenhower, the new train had all of the most modern amenities of the day and catered to the highest of society. Entrepreneurs, business people, celebrities, and even former Presidents knew there was no better way to travel between New York City and Chicago.

Today, the 20th Century Limited caters to you: the traveler, the foodie, the day tripper, the history buff. The Hickory Creek is the last remaining restored passenger car from the 20th Century Limited, and this Spring and Fall it will ride out of New York City just as it did when it was known as “The Most Famous Train in the World.” This time, it will have you on board.

Our scenic daytrips begin and end at Pennsylvania Station’s Moynihan Train Hall, where you will have first-class access to Amtrak’s brand new “Metropolitan Lounge”. From there, you will step back in time as you step aboard one of our two historic cars—the Hickory Creek and Tavern-Lounge No. 43. On the journey between New York and Albany, lunch and drinks will be served while you enjoy the one-of-a-kind view of the passing Hudson River. After an intermission at Albany-Rensselaer, our train will skate along the Hudson with the setting sun. Our historic rail cars, traveling on the tail end of Amtrak’s Empire Service, will traverse the very tracks that the 20th Century Limited did from the turn of the century to the 1960s.
 #1640074  by Railjunkie

Glad to see they are coming back again this fall. Great staff travel with these cars, they have been refurbishing the interior of the Hickory Creek to its NYCRR grandeur. If you can afford it and can get a reservation a highly recommended trip.

Wonder if it is the same chef this spring/summer, I will have to see about her "new" mix master. She thought she saw it. I found it. My conductor jumped a water hazard to get it. Someone had tossed it away in a pile of junk.
 #1640213  by NaugyRR

I tried e-mailing them, but haven't heard back; does anyone here know what the dress code is for the Albany day runs? I wouldn't mind doing a trip in October to celebrate our first wedding anniversary, but would like to know if suit and tie are expected or if higher end casual is acceptable.
 #1640268  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Naugy, somewhere around here, there is a platform photo taken at Harmon of the Hickory Creek on an excursion.

Of course, the condition that the car's owners keep it in must be lauded, what I could not help note were passengers sitting by the car's bay windows - in tank tops and flip flops.

I promise you one thing; on my very first train ride in this life during 1946 - GCT to Westerly in a Parlor Car, with my Grandmother, who "wouldn't be seen in anything less", I had on a suit and tie at 5yo. My Mother and Sister were also like attired. Same as such on my first airplane flight (vice Father for GM) during 1957.
 #1640274  by Gilbert B Norman

I must concede, Mr. Vogel, in your photos taken at Harmon, the gal looks properly attired - and the guy next to her "adequately".

Maybe it's simply my 82yo fogged memory, but somewhere I saw an interior Hickory Creek photo of someone in a tank top.
 #1640275  by Jeff Smith

I remember wearing a sport jacket and nice dress casual shirt back when I rode it circa 2014 on an Albany excursion. I checked their FAQ; no mention of a dress code. I just sent them an email. I will say this; I would not ride it in a t-shirt and jeans. It just seems counter-intuitive.
 #1640276  by NaugyRR

No no, I know better than that. I would just prefer to keep my full suit in my garment bag until the next wedding or funeral, that thing gets warm quick LOL.
 #1640281  by Railjunkie

I turn that train set a couple of times a week and I'm normally out there when the red carpet is rolled out and they start the boarding process. Gentleman are normally in a suit and and tie or dress shirt and sport jacket I have seen jeans. Most women are in dresses some with hats some not. As for shoes I've seen everything from Chuckie Taylors to Italian loafers. Thinks Traverse day at Saratoga or Kentucky Derby, there is one gentleman who comes in complete period dress. He rides a couple of times a year at least.
 #1640295  by NaugyRR

My wife is currently looking for vintage dresses, so the decision has been made on our dress code for the trip lol.

Now I'm shopping for a fedora a-la Don Draper to match my suit...

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk