• 2020 "Invest" Act. Proposed Amtrak Authorization/Reforms.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ThirdRail7

Well, let the debate begin. I'm sure the financial portion will run into a roadblock but some of the "reforms" may end up in the actual act.

Highlights include a 5-year funding plan, prohibitions against outsourcing certain departments, making hot meals mandatory if the train operates overnight (which is vague), changes the phrase from " to operate as a for profit corporation” to a company “operated and managed as” a for profit company (which really doesn't change much in my mind.

At any rate, the NPA has a nice summary of the proposal.

KEY RAIL PASSENGERS VICTORIES SECURED IN TRAIN ACT!

Here is a link to the entire bill

2020 INVEST in America Act Section-by-Section UPDATED.pdf
  by gokeefe

The provision requiring that any person onboard the train serving food and beverage to be an Amtrak employee is a direct attack against the very successful Downeaster Cafe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by STrRedWolf

Okay, it's not in the Library of Congress yet, so don't celebrate just yet. It hasn't even been introduced on the floor.

Once it hits, though... Division D, Title I, Sec 9101 and further. Title II, Sec 9201 and beyond are the Reforms section.

Sec 9211 on food & beverage... removes statutory language limiting Amtrak’s ability to provide food and beverage service due to costs.

Lets see what the bill actually says once it hits the floor.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Lest we not forget Col. Perkowski's teachings to this Forum:

218+51+1

or the total long shot:

288+66

Long LONG way to go, then "show me the money" (authorization /= appropriation)

No time for advocacy community "victory laps" or "doing donuts".
  by GWoodle

May have 2 months this year then delay to after November election or into 2021 before final passage.
The 5 year plan means nothing without the dollars to fund it.
  by John_Perkowski

That 51 means 60. It doesn’t hit the Senate floor without being able to walk through cloture.