• 1986 excursion to LIC, WH and Montauk motive power

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Legio X

I was on the November, 1986 excursion that went from Jamaica to Long Island City, then east to West Hempstead and from there to Montauk and back. I remember on the flyer for the trip it said the motive power would be Alco, which, at that time, the last group of C420's, 222-229. Well, there we all were, on the platform at Jamaica when our train arrived, but instead of C420's, it was pulled by a pair of MP-15ac's, one of which was 153 and the other, I believe, was 155. The powerpack was F-9A 619. As you might imagine, there was a great deal of dissappointment. If we wanted to ride a train pulled by MP-15ac's, we could've taken a train to Oyster Bay from Mineola. Anyway, as I recall, no explaination was offered by the excursion organizers, which was for the #39 project in Riverhead. Anybody know why the Alco power did'nt materialize for that trip, which my Dad and I paid for, along with two seats on parlor car #2014.

by Legio X

There must be someone on the LIRR Forum who was on that trip and knows what happened!!!

by John 61

Legio X,
I too was on that trip. I myself don't remember being diappointed about the motive power. Maybe there might have been a disclaimer saying that it would be Alcos if they were available. The previous two fan trips were powered by C-420s. I seem to believe that this trip was to feature a different combo of motive power.I reviewed my video tape and the consist was 151 & 153 w/2017,2014,2829,2821,2813 & 619.After going to LIC and West Hempstead we stopped at Speonk Yard, then had a photo runby at the Shinecock Canal Bridge. Lunch stop was at Southampton. After reaching Montauk we stopped at Amagansett for a meet on our westbound trip. Hopefully someone can add more details.

by Mr GP10

Hi John 61, Could please e mail me at [email protected] I have to ask you a question about something. Thank You. Have a Nice Day.

by Legio X

I think we stopped at Southampton to meet a train. I don't recall stopping at Amagansett. I remember studying the flyer, which I had gotten at Hobby Images in Hicksville. It prominently said "Alco motive power". There was not, as I recall, any disclaimer about their availability. It was still a good trip, though. I believe we came back via the Central Branch and stopped at Hicksville. That's where we got off the train.

by alcoAL

I think I have that flyer in my "archives" if you can call them that. I'll see what it says. I don't recall a reason for not having the Alcos, but the railroad always had final say on the equipment depending on availability, maintenance, etc. I'm pretty sure we stopped in Southampton for lunch break, then at Amagansett for a meet. I have photos of the meet there which I'll have to dig up (they're in my photo "archives" and there's a lesson in here somewhere).....

I just found the flyer, no mention of Alcos. I'll scan it and post it in a little bit.

by alcoAL

Here's the scan, unless there was another one that mentioned Alcos, this one only mentions 3 locos:

by Legio X

The flyer that snagged me was similar, but stated "Alco motive power." The excursion did'nt go to Long Beach, but rather West Hempstead. I don't remember if the flyer I saw mentioned Long Beach. In retrospect, I would've liked going to Long Beach rather than West Hempstead. But 11/15/86 was the date.