• Yawkey CR sation

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i just heard on the news the state of Mass. has approved to provide 55 mil to hlep make the yawkey/ fenway park area better, and they said that 20 million is going to go to the Yawkey commuter rail station for upgrades....what kind of upgrades will they make? longer platforms?

by darksun23c

This is all in coordination with the orginzation that owns the Red Sox and wants to help devlop Fenway. Part of the transportation improvments include parking garages, two-track Yawkey with upgrade to a full time station and improvements to Fenway Station on the D-Line. I don't have the full article anymore, but it's in an old post I made here.

by dudeursistershot

darksun23c wrote:This is all in coordination with the orginzation that owns the Red Sox and wants to help devlop Fenway. Part of the transportation improvments include parking garages, two-track Yawkey with upgrade to a full time station and improvements to Fenway Station on the D-Line. I don't have the full article anymore, but it's in an old post I made here.
Any parking garages would be part of an unrelated private development

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

how would they put 2 track platforms? the mass pike is in the way? they would have to re-aligh the tracks

by CSX Conductor

They could make a two-track platform by making a platform in the middle by doing a "cut & throw" with track #2 where the current platform is. But that is very expensive and unlikely to happen.

by darksun23c

From the Globe, money will go towards improvments to Fenway, Longwood and Kenmore stations as well as Yawkey. Also, part of the money goes for Main Green Line Subway upgrades, including a new crossover at Park Street.
There wasn't much on Yawkey Station, but I assme they'll try to improve pedestrian access to the station, among other things.

by trainhq

Does the Yawkey plan include a siding? That way, they could have one (maybe more than one!) trains waiting on the south side to go up, turn around at either Back Bay or South Station, and head down the south side CR routes, most likely NEC or Franklin lines. It would greatly increase CR usage by Red Sox fans. Otherwise, they'd only have Fenway CR on the Worcester line.

by CSX Conductor

TrainHQ, just so you know the commuter rail used to run the "Fenway Flyer" on weekends to home games. A train from Forge Park and a train from South Attleboro would each head into Boston via the Dorchester Branch and over to Yawkee via tha wye connector. This service was probably doen away with for two reasons: 1) low ridership & 2) the Wye Connector was out of service for long periods of time during the big dig due to staging and erecting large pieces of steel for the bridge sections of I-93 in that area.

Now that the highway project is closer to completion the Wye Connector is back in service 90% of the time, which means there's a slight chance they might resume the Fenway service in 2006.

by railfan101

CSX Conductor wrote:TrainHQ, just so you know the commuter rail used to run the "Fenway Flyer" on weekends to home games. A train from Forge Park and a train from South Attleboro would each head into Boston via the Dorchester Branch and over to Yawkee via tha wye connector. This service was probably doen away with for two reasons: 1) low ridership & 2) the Wye Connector was out of service for long periods of time during the big dig due to staging and erecting large pieces of steel for the bridge sections of I-93 in that area.

Now that the highway project is closer to completion the Wye Connector is back in service 90% of the time, which means there's a slight chance they might resume the Fenway service in 2006.

Pardon my ignorance but what and where is the wye connector?

by johnpbarlow

One Framingham Commuter rail upgrade that would help with overall schedule reliability would be to establish station platforms for both tracks 1 & 2 at Newtonville, W Newton, and Auburndale. Currently these stations only access track 2 and locals often have to wait eb at CP-11 or wb at CP-4 for opposing trains to clear.

by Ron Newman

And I'd like to see a generally better schedule on the Framingham Line, with all trains stopping at all Newton stations in both directions. Right now, the line is useless for getting back from western suburbs on weekday evenings.

When the T first started running Fenway specials, there was no regular Sunday service on any South Side line, and no regular Saturday service on the Framingham Line. They stopped running the Fenway specials after they improved Saturday services and added Sunday service.

by Robert Paniagua

Pardon my ignorance but what and where is the wye connector?

Right after South Station, just south of the lead bridge to the Cabot Shops/Southampton Street Yards, if you were riding the Old Colony Lines from South Sta, glance at the right after going over the bridge, and look there and you should see that wye. It looks like it's active as CSXTC said.

by trainhq

Well, if you look at the schedule, they could probably still run the Fenway specials if they wanted to. There isn't an incoming train on the Worcester line between between 9 and 12:30 in the evening on the weekdays, the time of most games. Since the games usually end between 10 and 11, it wouldn't be that hard to run a train (or two) down the Worcester line and park 'em by Yawkey until the game ends. They could also move, say one of the 10 P.M. to 11 P.M. regular trains to Franklin and Stoughton down the Fairmount line to give a little more room in the schedule. Going in to the game it shouldn't be that hard to send a northbound train up either the Attleboro or Frankilin lines over to Yawkey, maybe bypassing South Station completely, although it might slow down the Worcester line a little. But, it is doable. It's just a question of anyone wanting to do it enough to change the schedules some to make it work.

by CSX Conductor

johnpbarlow wrote:Currently these stations only access track 2 and locals often have to wait eb at CP-11 or wb at CP-4 for opposing trains to clear.
Actually westbounds (passenger trains) have to hold at CP-3. :wink:

by johnpbarlow

Actually westbounds (passenger trains) have to hold at CP-3.
Good point, given it's single track between CP-3 and CP-4!