Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by TacSupport1

Since I didn't have a chance to edit my other thread to repose my question since the topic was quickly locked, I will ask it here. I apologize for making a duplicate thread. I would hope I would be able to particpate in the discussions, even though I am not that experienced yet.

Anyways,

How many of those blue Metro North work engines do they have, and what are the year(ish)/make/model? I travel the Harlem line, and have only seen 102, 103, and 104, (usually one rotates each week sitting in the (Melrose?) yard)?

Also, who pilots these work engines- the same engineers who operate the M series? Just detailed to work those?

If there's some reference where I can find this information, is anyone able to point me in the right direction?

by Otto Vondrak

The 100-series work engines are EMD GP35R's. The "R" indicates a rebuild by Conrail's Altoona shops in 1993, if I remember correctly. In 1983, Metro-North leased some B23-7's for ten years. When the lease was up, the GP35's were replacements. Paint scheme for the GP35's was designed by the late Rich Gladulich, an MN employee.

-otto-

by Clean Cab

The GP-35(R)s numbers are 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 and 106. A total of 6 untis to replace seven B23-7s (801 to 807). All were rebuilt by the Altoona Shops from various engines from several railroads to make space in the crowded Altoona Yard.

MN had the chance to purchase many more of the GP-35s, but elected to purchase only 6 of them. I believe that Amtrak purchased 4 of the same units as well, but classify them (I think) as GP-38s.

by Penn Central

The GP-35s are very similar to a GP-38 but lack dynamic brakes. For work train and freight shuttle service, dynamic brakes were not needed.

by DutchRailnut

The GP35 is originaly a turbo charged locomotive of 2400 hp but the MNCR GP35r's were de-turboed. and the transition equipment was replaced making them now horsepower equivelant to the GP38 at 2000 hp.

MNCR has besides the 6 GP35r's one GP9 , one GP8 and two Blo 6's and a small GE switcher for GCT borrowed from NYCTA

by L'mont

Tac, you're talking about the 100 that sits at MO, Mott Haven on the Wye no?

What do the other 5 do all day that aren't detailed to MO?

by Swedish Meatball

L'mont the other engines are used in yard service. They will be at Croton-Harmon, North White, Stamford and New Haven.

by Otto Vondrak

We use the term "work train" to describe any type of non-revenue movement. This could be hauling a ballast train to a work site. Rescuing a disabled train and towing it to a yard. Yard duty. "Protect" duty during rush hour (standing by at MO for instance to rescue possible disabled trains)...

by L'mont

How often is the MO Geep, called on for a disabled train? I take it carry a compromise coupler at all times?

by DutchRailnut

Every Electric pair or triplet on MN caries its own compromize coupler.
The MO protect engine is there for any stranded train, anywhere, sometimes even Amtrak.
After and Before rush hour they perform other duties like taking out the trash from GCT to a track opposite High bridge. or to get stone at Devon or to bring crippled equipment back to Croton Shop or New Haven . etc etc etc.,

by TacSupport1

So, are these locomottives operated by engineers assigned to the maintence division, or can any engineer be assigned to operate these?

L'mont, I was refering to the one at the Melrose Y....is that engine "staffed" when it sits there, or does an engineer have to come from somewhere?

by DutchRailnut

All engineers are on one roster, there are no engineers in a maintenance division.
The MO protect is a regular job and most Work trains are extra jobs.
The Waterworld jobs are regular jobs.
as far as engineers are concerned an engine is an engine were all qualified to operate any locomotive.

by Nester

Otto Vondrak wrote:We use the term "work train" to describe any type of non-revenue movement. This could be hauling a ballast train to a work site. Rescuing a disabled train and towing it to a yard. Yard duty. "Protect" duty during rush hour (standing by at MO for instance to rescue possible disabled trains)...
Would you call deadhead and passenger equipment moves "work trains"? While I don't have an "official" definition, I always considered work trains to be trains scheduled and deployed to service the railroad.

by Otto Vondrak

You can really call the trains whatever you want (deadhead, ballast train, rescue engine, protect engine, work train, yard move, travelling switcher, etc.), I was only explaining to L'mont that "work engines" usually pull "work trains" that could be any number of non-revenue assignments...

-otto-

by Stephen B. Carey

DutchRailnut wrote:MNCR has besides the 6 GP35r's one GP9 , one GP8 and two Blo 6's and a small GE switcher for GCT borrowed from NYCTA
Do the Blo6's ever go to GCT or is it only the GE switcher? Im asking because I just saw an article about how the Blo6's were bought to work in GCT. It didnt make much sense to me since they're not electric or dual-mode.