Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by northjerseybuff

I heard a rumor(again) that MN will be double tracking to Harriman in the near future..can someone confirm or deny this?
  by DutchRailnut

untill you see it in capital budget its just a rumor.
  by northjerseybuff

ok roger..didn't know if it was part of the rebuilding from irene from that money since it that came in under budget.
Is Port Jervis yard going to get an upgrade? I know that was in the budget, I haven't seen anything though about that lately.
thanks
  by SecaucusJunction

Its definitely on their wish list, they mentioned it in their meetings last month... but yes, no money has been allocated toward it. Wishful thinking-Maybe at some point it will happen and the Port Jervis Line can resemble the Upper Hudson Line.... but what do I know, apparently I only spread rumors.
  by DutchRailnut

a wish is not a plan, and a plan is nothing untill funded
  by morris&essex4ever

Is there enough traffic/ridership to justify double tracking the Port Jervis line?
  by metrony

morris&essex4ever wrote:Is there enough traffic/ridership to justify double tracking the Port Jervis line?
They will be. Double tracking needs to happen for the line to be useful.
  by SecaucusJunction

MTASUPT would probably have the most information (if any) about this subject. I'm not sure how feasible it is but I know that Orange County has grown a lot in population for some time now.
  by metrony

SecaucusJunction wrote:MTASUPT would probably have the most information (if any) about this subject. I'm not sure how feasible it is but I know that Orange County has grown a lot in population for some time now.
The Port Jervis line needs two things for it to be successful.

1. Double tracking throughout the line.

2. Much better growth around the stations. Most if not all the stations are out in the middle of no where in the county - even in Harriman. Most of the county population growth is along the I-84 corridor east of Middletown and along route 17.
  by SecaucusJunction

More express service like the current rush hour service could probably make the line viable for all times during the day and ridership would grow. I think if you are going to double track the line, you should probably add another track between WC and SF to fit the extra service. Most stations west of Tuxedo are more of the "Park and Ride" facilities. Most towns that the line serves, with the exception of Middletown, don't really have densely populated downtowns so this works out pretty well. Most of the lots along the line are big and relatively full.
  by TDowling

that's a good point. If hypothetically they wanted to add service they would have to expand the station lots, not to say that they're not big enough already!!! haha
  by SecaucusJunction

If I remember correctly, Harriman lot was expanded just a few years ago. I havent been up that way during the week, recently, to see how much the lot is filled. It seems to stretch halfway to Woodbury Commons now. Also, I believe the Salisbury Mills station lot does not have room to expand in it's current location, but I haven't been there in a while either.

I agree that double track could certainly turn this into a much better railroad. Reverse evening peak is not possible (not unlike the Gladstone Branch) at this time because of sidings. I'm sure they would be willing to work around a single track Moodna and Otisville tunnel to save a lot of money. If NS ever does come in, things will only get worse.
  by kman73

I say reopen the old Erie main thru Monroe, Chester, and Goshen, ala ML/BCL north, Orange County style.

(yup, a pipe dream.)

K
  by metrony

kman73 wrote:I say reopen the old Erie main thru Monroe, Chester, and Goshen, ala ML/BCL north, Orange County style.

(yup, a pipe dream.)

K
I agree! This is how the line should have been. Going through the population centers of the county. Those areas would benfit greatly from having train service. Think of Cold Spring, Beacon and all the other towns along the Hudson and Harlem Lines....ahh..Only if.

Very dumb and shortsighted. The old Erie main is now the Orange Heritage Trail. Bringing back the line has a chance of 0%. :-/
  by TDowling

Never say never....stranger things have happened

But I agree...the chance of them revitalizing that line is very very slim