• WNYRHS status

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by ATK

Scott H - thank you for your candid response and giving us an inside look on what's happening with the WNYRHS. My intent was not to paint a bulls-eye on you guys for people to take pot shots at you, but rather to initiate a good discussion on what's happening with your organization. Hopefully those that live in the Buffalo area that are reading this thread will feel inspired enough to want to do something about it, join your group and become active. I myself grew up in Lancaster, so I follow what goes on back on the home front with interest.

Believe me, I know all about the cost of being in the railway preservation biz. I'm a member of the Railroad Museum of New England in Thomaston, CT and like Otto says, time, money, and people are our biggest problems. Fortunately for us, one of our bright spots is that we do get a lot of support from the local communities and politicians. Without that, our job would be all that more tougher.

Regarding the restoration to operation of the 4483, its a nice thought but in my opinion, everyone needs to just let that one go. She makes a very nice static display piece, be it in Hamburg or some other location. That locomotive is too big, too heavy, and no railroad in their right minds would sign themselves up for letting that thing run on their rails. And at the cost of "cubic dollars", I think that money could be put to better use to any other WNYRHS project.

Best of luck to you, I certainly hope that you are successful in your goal of establishing a permanent museum site. Your certainly welcome to contact me back channel; I'll support your group however I can.

by smph50

Hi Mark, Dave and ATK. Thank you for your feedback! Its nice to know that you all have seen the "I'll be there...." syndrome and the huge difference between being a "Member" and a "Volunteer." I will certainly try to get some straight answers on the :wink: Buffalo & Jamestown Railroad and let you know what I find out. And I am well aware that the I1's were not light on their feet and certainly not fuel efficient, but just think of how many heavyweight coaches we could haul in one train!
To all of you, your positive support is greatly appreciated and I Thank You
again!