Railroad Forums 

• Winter Park Express: Denver-Winter Park Ski Train

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1423650  by Jeff Smith

Hiccup: DenverPost
Winter Park Express canceled Saturday because of freight train derailment

Excited snowboarders and skiers got some bad news Saturday morning.

Amtrak’s morning train to Winter Park Resort was canceled after a freight train derailed along the route, Amtrak spokesman Mike Tolbert said. There will not be a train from Winter Park to Denver Saturday evening as its currently stuck in Denver.

Tolbert said the Winter Park Express should be running again tomorrow.
 #1425584  by Jeff Smith

Successful season: Skift.com

I'd be curious to know what the financial numbers will be; certainly, ridership metrics were good.

Fair-use SNIPS:
Amtrak’s Revived Colorado Ski Train Was a Success With Tourists This Year

The nation’s only airport-to-ski slope train connection was a hit with tourists this season and is going to keep running from Denver to Winter Park Resort for the foreseeable future.

Amtrak and the ski resort announced end-of-season ridership totals Wednesday. About 18,000 people rode the train from Denver 60 miles west through the Rockies, across the Continental Divide, and to the base of a ski resort at about 9,000 feet above sea level.
The so-called “ski train” ran on weekends from 1947 until 2009, when insurance woes closed it. The weekend Winter Park train was resumed this season after Denver completed work on a train line from its airport. The final trips for the season will be made this weekend.

Amtrak and Winter Park executives are meeting in Denver this week to talk about possibly expanding the service, which currently runs Saturdays and Sundays in January, February and March. The train formerly offered coffees and alcoholic beverages; some riders this season bemoaned the missing beverage service. There is also talk of Friday service.
 #1425619  by ExCon90

Jeff Smith wrote:Successful season: Skift.com

I'd be curious to know what the financial numbers will be; certainly, ridership metrics were good....
The key financial numbers will be the money the riders left in Winter Park, and we're not likely to be told that; but it's good that the management is pleased enough to continue the operation.
 #1425626  by Jeff Smith

ExCon90 wrote:The key financial numbers will be the money the riders left in Winter Park, and we're not likely to be told that; but it's good that the management is pleased enough to continue the operation.
Well said, thanks for reminding me!
 #1425712  by Gilbert B Norman

This ski excursion train was a sound idea. I realize that Ellis was "first on the scene" post-railroad operation, but by now all have learned "Ellis is Ellis".

From my almost Daily observations of Chief and Zephyr, normal "slack" winter consist is two Coaches, during "shoulder" season, consist is three. Additionally during peak, Zephyr will add a third Sleeper and the Chief one Coach - presumably for Scouts (unless they are from my Village's Troop; they ride Sleeper - Mom and Dad can afford it).

Presumably this means during "slack" twelve Coaches (five sets each train, plus two spares) are available to support the ski train. Instead of being the usual "bureaucracy of "NO", someone saw a marketing opportunity, squashed the cadre of "why we can't", and moved ahead.

Smart, for once.
 #1425771  by electricron

Having a dedicated set of railcars around will allow for a longer season for the ski train, possibly year 'round service even during the summer ~ with possibly a name change too. ;)

A 5 car train set of Amtrak Superliner LD cars could potential have 74 seats, regional Superliner cars up to 90 seats.
Amtrak Horizons regional cars (ADA & 4 abreast) have 68 seats, while NJT Comet cars (5 abreast) can have 117 seats. Doing some math........
5 x 117 = 585
4 x 117 = 468
3 x 117 = 351
5 x 90 = 450
4 x 90 = 360
5 x 74 = 370
Yes, purchasing some used rolling stock can not only add capacity, but could reduce the number of cars needed in the train - making it more efficient. There are 5 abreast seating commuter coaches available for purchase today from MARC that are in pretty good shape. Indiana's Southshore uses EMU versions of these trailers, so common shared spare parts should be easy to find for decades to come. FYI, MARC II coaches have up to 121 seats per car.
Last edited by electricron on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1425863  by Woody

ExCon90 wrote:
Jeff Smith wrote:Successful season: Skift.com

I'd be curious to know what the financial numbers will be; certainly, ridership metrics were good....
The key financial numbers will be the money the riders left in Winter Park, and we're not likely to be told that; but it's good that the management is pleased enough to continue the operation.
Let's not begrudge the resort owners. Apparently they did the heavy lifting to pay for the train. I don't think Amtrak covered any of the operating losses, tho it certainly gained tons of publicity and good will. If Amtrak spent its own money, I could imagine outrage from haters in Congress. So the funding was largely money from the resort, and "sponsors", advertisers, like the phone company that wrapped the cars.

Some folks hereabouts, with strong political or ideological beliefs, but weak on the facts, like to post about privatizing Amtrak. None of such plans appear viable. But in this one case, support from private backers covered the loss and made the service happen. Good for them!